Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improvised glaze/sauce for pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improvised glaze/sauce for pork

I just finished fixin' a rack of SLC and had to improvise the glaze since no one had told me we were out of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Here is what I did:

First, I used pourable butter, molasses and a very light drizzle of maple syrup in the wrap. I would normally add a bit of apple juice here as well but ... To compensate for the lack of liquid I ran the temp up a bit to 260 - 275 to be sure I got the fat to render, etc. so I had plenty of juices to work with for the glaze.

After a couple of hours in the wrap I took them off and saved all the drippings. Not sure how much there was other than there was more than enough. The drippings were decidedly sweet with a bit of maple flavor to them.

I put the drippings from the wrap in a small sauce pot over a low flame, added a fair amount of apple sauce (I'd guess at least half again of the volume of the liquid) and stirred that in. After that I added some malt vinegar until I got the tang I wanted. (I would have used apple cider vinegar but again .... )

I then let it come to a slow boil for amount 10 - 15 min while stirring often. I was watching for a froth to form but it never did I'm guessing because there wasn't that much maple syrup in the drippings and I didn't add any to what was in the pot.

It did start to thicken up a little bit, and at that point I brushed it on the ribs and put them back in the smoker for another 15 min to allow it to set.

Once I took them off I gave them a very light dusting with Old Bay (another experiment) to put some more heat on top.

My wife pronounced them very good so I guess all the improvising and experimentation was a success.

The final glaze was more of a thin sauce that I think would be excellent on pulled pork. Good heat, good sweet, and good tang with just a hint of maple to it. Try it at your own risk.

Great idea... very nice! Improvisation leads to good results a lot of times!

Had a similar problem today... wanted to use apple juice when I wrapped my pork butts... but alas we were out! So, in looking around I found a little can of Bud Light Apple Rita that my daughter brought over the other night. Poured it on both butts... and wow, it came out great. Could still smell it and the alcohol afterwards (guess I had it wrapped good!)
    Last edited by smarkley; August 10, 2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Hard Apple Cider (I prefer Angry Orchard) has the same effect on the last BBs I did.

Sounds a bit like the "bacon on a stick" I've had here in Baltimore. Thick cut dipped in maple syrup and dusted with Old Bay.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here