Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipes that really use beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipes that really use beer

Do any of you have experiences using beer in recipes? I'm interested in recipes that require more flavor than just "Add a cup of your favorite beer." More like "Add a cup of an India Pale Ale", or "A strong porter should be used."

Check out recipes for beer brats! It is Octoberfest time ya know.

From the AR Free site:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...rat-tub-recipe

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...r-cheese-sauce

Comment

PBR to thin out Thick and Rich BBQ sauce.

Comment

Guinness Stew. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...guinness-stew/
        Anthony Bourdains' New Mexico Beef (which is excellent) calls for a good mexican lager. I know really hoppy beers get bitter when cooked down.

Comment

Purty much alla mine use beer, or either some bourbon, takillya, spiced rum...

Guinness Extry Stout is what beer I mostly use, internally, an in my foods...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 11, 2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

My favourite beer recipe is 1. Open bottle. 2. Drink

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on that!

• Parkin
              Parkin commented
              Editing a comment
              Hard to argue with the classics!

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats not a recipe. Thats a life mantra

If ya bake bread, try subbing some Dos XX Amber for water in a lean dough.

Comment

My shepherd's pie recipe uses Guinness stout.

Comment

use beer instead of apple juice for your spritzing needs, also as a base instead of water for injections/marinades

Comment

@Mr Bones -- You remind me of the recipes I've collected for bacon-bourbon jam.
                  Not being a bourbon drinker, I went to a big-box liquor store to buy some. I said "I want to buy some bourbon. What's the cheapest you have?" Realizing that made me sound like a cash-strapped drunk, I quickly added "I'm using it for cooking."
                  I wonder if she believed me? 😄

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
                    Sweaty Paul commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No. No she didn’t. 😃😃

Guinness in stews and braising, Negra Modelo (along with acorn squash) in Authentic Texas Chili.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In the chilli does the beer make the skin fall off the beans?

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right there with ya, Cap'n...or either I'll use Tecate...any Mexican beer with some flavour, an colour to it...Takillya has been known to be involved in TX or Mex dishes, as well, to very good end...

Ahumadora Never had th inclusion or exclusion of any alcohol cause no skins to fall off in no beans or no chili, an I've cooked considerable of both, Brother.
                    Hope this helps, amigo...
                    Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 11, 2020, 05:04 PM.

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ahumadora No, silly man, it's the acorn squash that does that. That's what makes it Authentic Texas Chili, duh!
                    Last edited by CaptainMike; September 11, 2020, 11:15 PM.

My stomach contents are generally brined in IPA 😜

Comment

All my recipes use beer. Heck I can't make toast without cracking a cold one. (Not quite that bad yet

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don't worry, Amigo! It'll happen.

As ya so aptly pointed out th other day, yer jus a young'un, yet.

Ime, that first beer is crucial fer hydration upon wakin, while ya wait fer th coffee to perc, an th oven, cooker(s), ancast iron is warmin up to Go-Time temps lol

Ear wax, indeed...
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 11, 2020, 06:09 PM.

I usually make Beef Carbonnade (Belgian beef stew) with Chimay Grande Reserve (https://chimay.com/us/bieres/bleue/) or, for an American twist, I will use Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (https://www.gooseisland.com/beers/ba...nty-stout-2020).

I've tried other dark beers and not found any others that give this dish the flavor I want. But I kinda cry when I pour a bottle of either beer into the dish. A small libation often makes a detour into a glass for the household gods and goddesses to sip on while dinner cooks.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      'Tis painful, at times, but th household gods an goddesses must indeed be hydrated, an satiated, fer a successful cook!

• mgaretz
                      mgaretz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I make mine with a Lambic, usually raspberry or cherry. This is the way I ate it a lot in Belgium and the surrounding areas. I'm with you that other beers don't cut it.
                      Last edited by mgaretz; September 12, 2020, 01:39 PM.

Dublin Coddle using Guinness Stout.

This bland recipe will get you started:

Prepare this in a CI Dutch Oven, and for this size recipe add a full 12oz Stout.

Set the kit directly over coals and close your grill, let smoke. When it gets up to temp and starts to simmer, cover the oven. This can stay on the lowered coals a long time and just get better and better.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ehhh???
                      Guinness, taters, beef stock, cabbage???
                      I'm in, yall! lol

• JGo37
                      JGo37 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      IowaGirl I mean in addition to. Let it simmer down - coddle was originally a cottage meal to welcome the men home from the fields after they spent the evening in the pub. I always get coddle on early, and let it reduce forever - no worries. It will come out much darker after reduction than any pics you will find, but much richer in taste. That said, no one I've had cook this has gotten it right the first time (local friends) but after a talk, heaven.

• JGo37
                      JGo37 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I LOVE Coddle! Coddle caused me to buy a big sausage book, and work on it in earnest. There's just no true great pork sausage in grocery stores, only butchers. On my bucket list is to make both the sausage and the bacon from scratch - oh my...

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here