Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spicy, yet thick KC-style sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All right, all three of Max Good's sauces arrived today and I tried them out on some leftover pecan-smoked "fried" chicken from last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4125.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	910774

All three of these sauces are excellent! They have a depth and complexity of flavor you just don't find in the grocery-store sauces. Here are my notes:

Savory Original: Thick with tomato overtones and a good balance of pepper and sweet. There's a complexity here that I love. It tastes as if the sauce has been slow-simmered to really draw out and increase the depth of the flavors.

Sweet Cognac: This is the most interesting BBQ sauce I have ever tasted, very unique flavors. The hints of oregano, citrus, and cognac are really, really good. This sauce is so hard to describe! Imagine an old-world style marinara sauce that wakes up and decides it now wants to be an American BBQ sauce. Very complex. If you have a relatively spicy dish already -- as my chicken was -- this will complement it perfectly. I freely admit to putting it into a spoon and eating a few spoonfuls straight. It also begs to be used as a baste for ribs.

Beso del Fuego: This is it. This is the sauce. This is what I was looking for! Depth of flavor, heat, and the flavor of the peppers responsible for the heat. If I could pick just one sauce on a desert island, this is it. This is the sauce that is going in the hurricane evacuation kit, without question. Happy, happy burn!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. But did you like it? 😂 I have never seen a better and more descriptive BBQ sauce review. 👏👏 I get my 3 pack Thursday, can’t wait to try them!

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW! Thanks a million! I'll share your comments with my wife and kids. Please tell your friends!

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
    Hey Michael, this is a brand I’ve found that’s really good also. Head Country. They make a spicy and regular as well as this Hickory. You can get it at Kroger, HEB, Walmart also. I really like it, and I love the spicy also. As mentioned, you can’t go wrong with Stubbs! I buy that sometimes too.
    I certainly agree with Panhead John, Head Country is a pretty tasty sauce and easy to find.

Comment

I came here looking for a sauce recommendation that has some heat. My current commercial favorite is Famous Dave's Devil's Spit but after reading about Max's sauces I've got a sampler on the way!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here