Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spicy, yet thick KC-style sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spicy, yet thick KC-style sauce?

(I totally swore I would never do this....so I'm doing this.)

Please suggest a BBQ sauce I will like. That's it. That's the entire post.

In all seriousness, I'm looking for suggestions for an easily available (is it at HEB?) BBQ sauce that has the consistency of a KC-style sauce, yet is more spicy than sweet. I'm not looking for a thick hot sauce -- that's a but much -- but I'm looking for something with that KC flavor, some, but not a lot of kick, and a little less sweet than most KC-style sauces.

Even though I have lived my entire life in Texas, I grew up with Kraft's Hickory Smoke BBQ sauce. That is my base reference. Something like that....but with some kick. But I don't just want capsaicin, I also want heat-flavor. (You know, the difference between a hotsauce with just more capsaicin verses a sauce that captures the essense of the hotter pepper and not just its heat.)

I like thick sauces, KC-style as I am calling thing. Traditional-style Texas sauces don't do it for me (is this water?).

The one sauce that has come closest to what I am looking for us KC Masterpieces' 816 Hot. It almost has it. That....plus just some depth....like something with a hint of whiskey or cognac.

Stubbs spicy is probably the closest grocery store sauce I can think of to what you're looking for. Nice kick without being a punch in the face, nice sweetness level but not cloying, and nice complexity. Worth a shot, anyway.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll vouch for Stubbs, finally found it at a store up here and gave it a go will excellent results.
      Sweet Baby Rays is our go to, then Diana's, then Kraft.
      There used to be a brand called Irrersistable's up here that had a Brandy Peppercorn BBQ sauce that was the best I ever tasted. Haven't seen it in years.

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Stubbs has come up a bit in my research.....yall have definitely knocked it up the list a bit.

Originally posted by Michael_in_TX View Post
    The one sauce that has come closest to what I am looking for us KC Masterpieces' 816 Hot. It almost has it. That....plus just some depth....like something with a hint of whiskey or cognac.
    You might want to take that, dump it in a bowl and add a little bourbon and perhaps a hot sauce you like (Tapatio , sriracha).

It's hard for us to recommend because it sounds like you have a really specific flavor in mind and when that's me and I have something close, I just try to alter the thing that's close to get closer.
    Last edited by rickgregory; September 10, 2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Stubbs original. Or spicy if you are so inclined. Original is my fav.

Comment

This is simple - start with the first BBQ sauce ever.. seriously.

This is what to compare anything else you'll ever use afterwards to..

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve had this when visiting a friend in St. Louis. It’s terrific. Can’t find it up here in WI. So every once in a while I have my friend send me some.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jfrosty27 thanks for the supportive comment! Maybe we can get a cult-following going here for times when you don't make your own sauce... !!

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m in!

There are so many choices, but if you want to make your own, this is fantastic:

Say so long to bottled BBQ sauce and hello to amped up homemade Kansas City-style sauce with this step-by-step recipe. Thick and sweet, Kansas City barbecue sauce has been a crowd favorite since the introduction of KC Masterpiece in the 70s. Our delicious recipe features multiple layers of flavors, sweets, and heats.

I usually add a couple of shakes of red pepper flakes to amp up the spice.

Comment

• NotTheGolfer
          NotTheGolfer commented
          Editing a comment
          I made this recipe and thought it was pretty good. I didn’t have the tamarind paste, and didn’t use the liquid smoke. I’d like to try it again using one or both of those ingredients. Do those make a big difference? Also, I strained out the "chunky stuff." I’d also like to experiment with some ways to give this a little more heat. Overall, great sauce though!

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          NotTheGolfer I didn't have the tamarind paste either but I did use the liquid smoke. I didn't strain it since we like it with the veg pieces. I chopped them up pretty small though.

Gotta throw my hat in the ring here. My Black Swan Beso del Fuego is a mighty tasty hot, KC style sauce made with fresh jalapenos and habaneros. Check it out: https://amzn.to/3ikVZDr Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0541.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	909352

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Max Good Just ordered me some. How long should it last in the fridge after opening? Thanks
          Last edited by Panhead John; September 12, 2020, 08:20 PM.

• Max Good
          Max Good commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John treat Black Swan like you do ketchup. It will have about the same life span if kept refrigerated after opening. Of course our Beso Del Fuego is known to disappear quickly, "Lips that taste the fire's kiss will forever crave it's rich blend of jalapenos, habaneros and smoldering spice."

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Max Good good, those were just the words I was looking for to describe that sauce...
          Last edited by klflowers; September 14, 2020, 04:02 PM.

Hey Michael, this is a brand I’ve found that’s really good also. Head Country. They make a spicy and regular as well as this Hickory. You can get it at Kroger, HEB, Walmart also. I really like it, and I love the spicy also. As mentioned, you can’t go wrong with Stubbs! I buy that sometimes too.
        Attached Files

Comment

Kansas City Joe's
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Yeah, I think the only way I could have picked a more ambiguous question were to ask what BBQ rub I'd like.

I had a bottle of Stubbs original in our instacart order last night and will try it today (they didn't have Spicy). I think I'll also pick up two of Max' sauces as I've been really curious about them for some time.

I totally forgot to mention two other sauces I've tried, Aaron Franklin's Texas BBQ and Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce.

Aaron's is good, but it is a Texas sauce and a bit less viscous than I'd like. It's also just a bit too tomato-y for me. Although, it is designed to go with and not overpower in the slightest Texas brisket, so I think it would be really good there.

I am a huge Malcom Reed fan and have learned so much from him and Rachelle. His AP, The BBQ Rub, and Hot Rub are my go-to rubs. Unfortunately, I found The BBQ Sauce, while it has an excellent pepper finish, just too sweet. (I also recognize it has competition origins so that may explain the sweetness.)

I'll report back on what I think of Stubbs!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              An yer take on Killer Hogs (Th BBQ)? Jus curious, have never tried it...

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              The Rub? It is a good, consistent, reliable BBQ rub....not too salty, not too sweet, very well balanced. When I don't want to think about it, I grab that one. (His Hot Rub is my favorite for pork butt.) I also have settled on it as, well, I want to support Malcom making more videos.

Max Good ‘s beso del fuego is a fantastic sauce.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              I just ordered Max Good ‘s sampler pack based on y’all’s recommendations. It’ll be here Thursday. Can’t wait to try it. It also got some great Amazon Reviews.
              Last edited by Panhead John; September 12, 2020, 03:51 PM.

And I just picked up the Sampler Pack of Max Good's sauces. It will arrive tomorrow from Amazon. (One day delivery on a Sunday.....one could get used to this....)

Comment

I gotta sneak into the States somehow, I was cruising Amazon on Thurs to see what rubs n sauces I could pick up.
              Man what a jerk water back roads I live in.
              Sure I could find some things you guys take for granted but at the price of a lung or kidney.
              If the borders closed much longer you just may have to invade this dump so I can get rubs n sauces

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm, Crown Royal Rye whiskey is made in Gimli, Manitoba....
                Other than that not much else to offer I guess

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                Max Good Thank you for the link
                Tried it briefly problem is they’re English is like my French....sucks
                Will give it another go during the week. There is a chat line so hopefully I get a bilingual operator

• Max Good
                Max Good commented
                Editing a comment
                Max Lavoi (the other Max) is one of the owners. He and most of their crew speak English. They also have an English site. On my Chrome browser a pop up in the upper right corner lets me select English.

smokin fool You know, I never really thought about your problems getting stuff from the US. Sorry to hear about it. What does Amazon want for the Max Good’s sauce up there? Here’s what it costs here. After hearing the rave reviews I’m gonna try it.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Panhead John; September 12, 2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John Well it isn't that terrible, hey, Rotel finally came to Canada about 9 months ago. Don't have to lug suitcases full of it thru DFW anymore. Trix is brought in for a Dec treat.
                Checked Amazon.ca, no go on Black swan, no go on Flatiron Pepper Co on another thread.
                Stubbs I found two weeks ago for $2.49 a bottle on sale. Shoulda brought more.
                I've tried Amazon.com, get the old Will not ship to Canada message.

All right....

I tried some of Stubbs Original on some smoked breaded chicken tonight. This is a very good sauce. I actually prefer it to Aaron Franklin's Texas BBQ sauce.

It is not really sweet at all. The primary notes to me were tomato-y with a distinct black pepper finish. It is thicker than Aaron's sauce, which I like. Those who recommended this as something I might like were absolutely correct. I'd like a little more and varied heat, so if I can find the Spicy version I am going to try that. Going to go through Max Good's order first. (I am only allowed to fill one door-shelf of the fridge with sauces and I'm nearly full!)

If I were to compare it to KC 816, KC 816 has more of a molasses-base flavor and Stubbs has a more tomato-base flavor. I did like how the tomato aspect had a bit of bite that went well with the chicken.

Tomorrow should be fun. Max Good's three-pack has already shipped. I'll be able to compare all three sauces at once!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here