Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil vs Butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil vs Butter

I did a quick search but couldn't find an answer. I'm making a traditional red bbq sauce for ribs. The recipe calls for butter to be added at the end. Do you all have preference for butter or oil in your sauces?

Well, I would say it really depends. Oil tastes nothing like butter. For example, in a buffalo wing sauce, which is about half hot sauce and half butter, you wouldn’t want to substitute oil. It just wouldn’t taste right, and would be, well, oily. If the recipe calls for butter, feel free to sub oil, but you may want to try the recipe as is with butter first, before making major changes. Otherwise you really didn’t make that recipe, right?
    Last edited by jfmorris; August 19, 2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

For sauces, I like butter.
      For a lipid to put in the pan to sear, I can go either way.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Thank's for the quick response. Yeah, I hate to be the guy that asks for substitutions on a recipe before making it. I'm just a bit shy on using butter right now. I recently made Aaron Franklin's Texas sauce recipe to go with a brisket and was quite disappointed with the taste. I think it came down to using a ton of butter. It just wasn't to my preference so was wondering if anybody has a favorite type of oil they use in their sauces.

Comment

Try Meathead’s Mop Sauce for another recipe. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...barbecue-juice It uses much less butter.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            The mop sauce recipe looks good. Think I’ll have to try it next time I smoke a brisket or a chuck roast.

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've made the mop sauce jfmorris and will definitely do it again..

i prefer butter, as its easier to homogenize with the sauce. Try to get either: the highest fat content possible, or use Ghee (just the butterfat).

Comment

or even, Butcher BBQs grilling oils. used those before . great outcome if you dislike using so much butter

Comment

For me it really depends on what I am cooking for sure. But for a sauce, I would use butter.

Comment

Butter, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire, catsup.
                made this many times in a pinch. Kind of Sweet and sour.
                I use butter. Oil will work, try both out. Let us know which you like best.

Comment

You eat butter, you cook with oil, unless you're one of them rabbity folk that eat salads...

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love a good salad.

Butter, especially if your mounting it (finishing the sauce at the end) and off the heat.

Comment

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've mounted a large mouth bass, a CA golden trout. I've never thought about mounting butter...

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here