Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Free Sweet Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar Free Sweet Sauce

Morning,

Anyone got a good recipe for a sugar free bbq sauce? One that utilizes honey or fruits to make it sweet?

it may not be possible, but for family member health reasons I’d like to start making and perfecting a sugar free sauce.

Hell, even a sugar free pork rub too, if such a beast exists

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      SPG, Salt, Pepper and Garlic. Try 3 parts Salt, 2 parts Garlic, 1 Part Pepper.
      Actually SPG works on just about every thing. Since I started making my own, I use spg in just about everything.

Sweet Baby Ray's has come out with a sugar free BBQ sauce, sweetened with allulose.

Comment

You can sub honey for sugar in a sauce:

Comment

I assume you know what you are talking about, but honey and fruit still have sugar, just not sucrose. That said, what you are asking for is tricky, because a lot of recipes begin with store bought ketchup, which has a lot of sugar in the form of corn syrup. I think you'd have to start with tomatoes or tomato sauce rather than ketchup. Could be a fun exercise.

Comment

Yeah, I mean natural sugar- not processed.

Comment

You can find organic sugar free ketchup or just use a tomato sauce for the base. Then just use the ingredients from your favorite sauce, add honey a little at a time until you get the sweetness your looking for. Cook that down, blend and strain.
            i make a low carb sauce and use the Splenda brown sugar and sugar free maple syrup with tomatoe sauce as my base.

Comment

Originally posted by Gbell1577 View Post
              Yeah, I mean natural sugar- not processed.
              You're kidding yourself if you think there is any benefit to "natural" sugar. All sugar you buy, except if you use the fruit directly, is processed. Even if you use fruit directly, you need to somehow make it liquid or spreadable and that's processing it. Even honey is processed, even if you buy "raw" honey. They still remove wax and bee parts. And honey is a highly refined form of sugars anyway. It just got refined and processed by a bee! (Don't think to hard about how the honey comes out of a bee!)
              Last edited by mgaretz; July 25, 2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Gbell1577
                Gbell1577 commented
                Editing a comment
                How about REFINED sugar then. Or more NATURAL. And yeah, I have a few beehives and I know exactly how they make honey.

Thanks

A better strategy may be to take a home made BBQ sauce and start reducing the sugars of all types. I've been cutting out as much sugar as I can for quite a few years and once you get used to things will less sugar it's amazing how much less it takes to make things acceptably sweet. Food makers know we're programmed to have a sweet tooth and use that against us by using so much more sugar than is needed.

Comment

Have you thought of this one. I used it on some ribs and it was not bad. If the BBQ sauce does not sound interesting this line has other sugar free offerings you could use for a base. In my area it is sold at Walmart, Food Lion, and Kroger.
                Award-winning pit master G Hughes brings you his variety of sugar free, gluten free, preservative free, BBQ Sauces, Dipping Sauces, and Marinades that are perfect for your next meal creation!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here