Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much sauce for 100 people???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much sauce for 100 people???

I am cooking 8 butt for a friends wedding, She is expecting around 100 people. I am also making sauce to go with the pulled pork. Planning to do a sweet sauce and a vinegar sauce.

My question is, how much sauce should I plan on making? I know there are a lot of variables but if anyone has some ball park guesses I would appreciate it.

Thanks

clb239

I don't know. but you can try taking a bottle of sauce and weighing it. Then add the sauce to a sandwich like will be served at the wedding and weigh the bottle again. That should give you the portion amount - maybe. It's a guesstimate 'cause not everyone will use what you use. I'd add at least 25% just to make sure you have enough.

Comment

Typical pulled pork portion, I often estimate an average of 4 oz. per person, per sammich or plate with sides...I always make extry..

I usually figger on approx.~ 2 oz. sauce per person ; they are welcome to ask fer additional, gratis, but this is a goodly portion control amount to sauce 1 sammich, or 1 portion, on a plate with sides.

I use a measured ladle, if line servin a caterin event, portion control cups with lids, if delivery, or takeaway...

I'm sure others will chime in with additional assistance.

Best of Luck with caterin yer event, Brother!

I always makes some extry, just in case...

Win win deal. when I gots me some sauce left over, to enjoy, after.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 19, 2020, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I would do 5 liters. Less if your bbq is good / more if it is bad...

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh you’re so clever ....

Choices in sauces make it more difficult to estimate. I don’t think 100% of the guests will choose one sauce over the other nor do I think they will choose 50-50. In addition, I would guess that not everyone will want sauce. So, while you need enough to cover 100 or so servings I think the only safe way to be sure you have enough sauce is to have enough of each sauce to serve 75. I think RonB recommendation is helpful to begin figuring this thing out and Mr. Bones idea on serving will help, too. No matter how you estimate, be prepared to bring the excess home.

Comment

What will you be cooking on?

Comment

• clb239
            clb239 commented
            Editing a comment
            I am going to use my Meadow Creek PR42G

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I see. Is that the one you and your Pop went to look at? That thing is a monster!

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
          ... I think the only safe way to be sure you have enough sauce is to have enough of each sauce to serve 75.
          So if we use Bonesy's 2oz per person and figure 75 people might want a sauce that's about 1 gallon of each sauce (1gal = 128fl oz, the above is 150. Close enough).

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I've done parties of 80 to 90, with pulled pork, and agree that 1 gallon of each ought to do it. More folks will go for the KC style sweet and thick BBQ sauce than will go for the spicier vinegar based sauce in my experience.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahumadora's estimate of 5 liters is in the same ballpark. I'd say y'all win a beer.

Depends. In parts of the Carlolina's you could do 8 butts with less than a quart of dip. In Florida and other parts of the North, you would need about 8 quarts of ketchup based sauce and 4 crock pots.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here