Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Sauce Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Sauce Help

I have a homemade BBQ sauce recipe that I use for glazing ribs and putting on pulled pork. It is a sweet and mild spicy sauce with a somewhat thin consistency. What are your recommendations on what to add to thicken the sauce? Or do I need to cook it longer? Thanks for your help.

Here is the recipe. Ingredients:

4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
    1 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons Grandma's Molasses
    1 tablespoon black pepper ground
    2 (15-ounce) cans or 1 29 ounce can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
    4 teaspoons lemon juice
    4 teaspoons lime juice
    2 tablespoons liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon Accent MSG
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon salt table
    1 cup granulated sugar
    Directions: Combine ingredients in a sauce pan and mix well. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 50 minutes, stirring frequently. Refrigerate overnight before using. Store in refrigerator in a mason/glass jar. Keeps up to a month.

Click image for larger version

Name:	John's Sauce.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	853768

Mine looks fairly similar except it uses two cans of tomato paste instead of sauce and it turns out about as thick as commercial sauce. I don't think I'd add anything else to thicken it. Cooking it down further or substituting paste should do the trick.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes using the paste will make it thicker and not sacrifice flavor.

You could cook it down longer or maybe switch out some tomato paste for some of the tomato sauce. 2 fifteen ounce cans of tomato sauce is a lot of thin liquid.

Comment

Corn starch is used as a thickener in a couple bbq recipes I have seen.

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Any idea how much?

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks

You basically have water n sugar with a spot of acid.

You can try as mentioned above with the paste V sauce but it sounds like you prefer this sauce. So with that in mind try:

1. Bloom your spices then add your canned sauce and thicken by reduction

2. followed by adding you molasses and simmer for a few. Then taste your sauce for mouth feel and spice.

3. add all the other kids to the pool and heat until the brown sugar dissolves and the sauce thickens.

4. Taste again, be careful as this stuff is Like Napalm.

by thickening your sauce first it happens faster and you reduce all the sugar in the sauce and what salt is in there so it should intensify some.

you will then be adding back water which will loosen it up but the favor should be bright against the brown sugar.

reduce some if needed and readjust the season. This will keep it as close to the original recipe you already like so much.

Plan C
      Xanthum Gum or Tapioca starch

Hope this helps
      Last edited by HouseHomey; May 30, 2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks you so much!!! I will try this.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        So easy just adapt the recipe like a true pro😊
        I appreciate and respect your skill sets HH

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a perfect example of how a professional chef can take a basic recipe and really develop the flavors and textures to take it to another level. Thanks Homey for the cooking lesson.

HouseHomey Finally got around to making the BBQ sauce following your advice. Same ingredients, just different technique. Wow!! What a huge difference in texture and flavor.

Here is a picture showing my original sauce (I now call it a glaze) on the left, and BBQ sauce following your guidance on the right.

Name:	Homey1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	857913

The next picture shows the consistency of my original sauce.

Name:	Homey2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	857914

Now the consistency using your method.

Name:	Homey3.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	857915

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and expertise. I now have a BBQ glaze and a true BBQ sauce. Never would have gotten there without your help. The new sauce is named Homey's BBQ sauce in your honor.

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        It is thick and sticky right out of the fridge. I need to try it warmed up a little and put on something hot. Never added any additional spices or water like you indicated I might need to.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        If you want to thin it out for use add it so a separate vessel, just the amount you need. Example: sauté additional shallots/garlic etc and add sauce to it and heat through. This way you are not stuck with one ( Huskee ) "flavor profile." Keep your thick base in reserve. Next time you may want heat or AC vin etc... perhaps some jalapeño in bacon fat.

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey Thank you.

Xanthan is my standard for too runny sauces.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here