Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sauce for Kalua pig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sauce for Kalua pig?

Anyone have any thoughts on a good sauce for kalua pig? A friend (from Hawaii) has asked me to bring a sauce for kalua pulled pork for an office party. I'm thinking something with a little sweetness (maybe mango or guava) and a touch of heat.

Instead of mango or guava, you might want to try illiquoi (orange passion fruit) instead. It’s a signature Hawaiian flavor. You probably won’t find the actual fruit here on the mainland, but I’ve been able to get my hands on liliquoi juice/extract locally.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea.

Yo! I would give this sauce a shot. I bet it would be great on pork. Give it try and let us know. It has sweetness and it will be easy to add a little heat to it.
    Hawaiian huli-huli chicken is a hugely popular type of grilled chicken with a sweet teriyaki style barbecue sauce. Here's my take on the recipe.

Comment

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      This is good stuff! But it will NOT keep for months in the fridge as the recipe states because it will be used up quickly.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      True story! Good problem to have man! N227GB

Thanks for the suggestions. I used some of the ingredients from the Huli Huli sauce (rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, dk brn sugar and worcestershire) but branched out a bit, including a bit of dark rum, mango chutney and jalepeno pepper sauce and some other stuff. It was a good compliment to the kahlua pork. Got some good compliments.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here