Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For making Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For making Sauce

For others like me who like making their sauce from drippings and fond, try this. I usually ask my butcher for pork scraps, trimmings and unwanted bones. If the bones are small enough, I feed them to my dogs. (My dogs are raw fed and rarely are fed cooked meat, NEVER fed grains and never EVER fed cooked bones) but, small raw bones are great. we don't ever feed leg bones of cows though. those gigantic smoked bones at petsmart are VERY bad. the leg bones of large ungulates (like cows) are FAR too dense. they carry so much weight, they can easily break a dog's teeth. so much more so for having been cooked. but I digress.

I take the pork scraps and apply rub to what I can. then throw it on the smoker with my meat. this increases the amount of rendered fat and gelatinized connective tissue to create that beautiful mouth feel. Sometimes I'll pull the drip pan after a few hours, if I have extra on for drippings, and make my sauce ahead of time with it. swapping out pans to start a fresh one or simply leaving the cook without and letting remaining drippings fall to the coals.

The increase in drippings increases the amount of sauce I can make for that cook. It really isn't a big deal unless you want to make certain you have extra sauce or if you want some extra drippings to base a nice Brunswick Stew. This is also a particularly good trick when making ribs. sine there isn't as much fat, the amount of drippings is more limited. and since you CAN pull the pan after the majority of the cook is done and leave it out at the end, this gives you and hour or two to make your sauce and have it ready for that final saucing and searing to set the sauce into a nice glaze.

Your butcher may look at you funny the first time you request it (people look at me funny, anyway) but once you explain, they get it and my butcher will pull me out some good pieces, those with that extra fat & cartilage to make my nice, velvety sauce.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here