Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Chicken!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Chicken!

I love pulled chicken when looking for a change but still wanting to smoke something and stay in the BBQ lane. That being said I absolutely love love love my sauce that I typically make for my ribs or shoulders but being that it has a fair amount of peanut butter in it it can be a little to powerful the delicate taste of chicken in my opinion. So im reaching out to see if anyone can provide ,me with some other suggestions or alternatives that you may use on pulled chicken that works good? Thanks in advance and I look forward to something new from the Pit Crew!!

I like Sweet Baby Ray's with a spicy rub on the chicken. I'll smoke boneless, skinless thighs. Pull the meat, sauce and put back on the smoker. Good stuff!

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      CandySueQ I have never seen boneless, skinless thighs before. Can I get them at the grocery store?

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      They sell em in most grocery stores, you probably just didn't notice because they're in similar packaging to all the other chicken. I'm cooking a mess of B&S thighs myself tonight. =)

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      David Parrish thanks for the info. The wife has been on me for some pulled chicken now I can make her happy...i hope

Thank you ma'am! I love some heat so it sounds like that could be right up my alley! CandySueQ

Comment

Eazy9 please tell us about your peanut butter sauce! A recipe would be nice.

Comment

IMO the best sauce for chicken is Dinosaur, from Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse. I notice you are in Virginia, and there will be a Wegman's opening soon near you; Wegman's carries Dinosaur. Until then you can order it on the website: Dinosaur BBQ.The Sensuous Slathering Sauce is the regular, Wango Tango is the hot, and it is really hot for a commercial product.

What makes Dinosaur better for chicken is that it is not overly molassesy; it is sweet but not too sweet. The flavor runs more toward tomato and herbs and spices. Here is the ingredient list:

Crushed Tomatoes, Vinegar, Sugar, Mustard (mustard flour, vinegar, salt), Spices, Brown Sugar, Salt, Molasses, Xantham Gum (natural food fiber), Natural Smoke Flavor, Onion, Garlic, Green Bell Pepper, Lemon Oil, Spice Extractives.

Give it a shot, it's our go-to sauce for birds.

Comment

Second what Dewesq55 said!

The SC mustard sauce on this site is one of my all time favorite sauces, I have not met a piece of chicken or pork it does not go well with. I also like the KC classic on this site on smoked chicken, although I will confess I prefer it with no onions (just mix everything else together, no cooking).

Comment

Thank yall so much for your input. I was originally leaning towards a mustard sauce in my mind and being that I believe I have all the ingredients on hand I think im going with your suggestion @bbqoaf... Ill let you know how it turns out!! And to respond to Dewesq55 about my sauce. What I make is what I consider to be a Virginia sauce, my base is 1/2 Apple Cider vinegar 1/2 white vinegar followed by ketchup and the rest of the usual suspects such as brown sugar, red pepper flakes,black pepper(I grind mine in a mortar and pestle), turbinado sugar,kings syrup,honey,some greek seasoning(I love that stuff)etc..... I cook it all down for about 30-45 mins then I add about 1/4 cup of peter pan peanut butter. It could take more than that but it all depends how much vinegar I have used for the amount of sauce as well as my taste buds that day. 1/4 cup is pretty standard for about 2 cups of vinegar. My final kicker to add with the peanut butter is prepared horse radish, about a Tbl. just to keep that bite that I like in there.
            Another thing I must say is that I find the myself making the sauce a day or two in advance as I believe after about a total cook time of an hour or so and then letting it sit in the refrigerator for some time before slathering on only helps the peanut butter develop and become more prominent but still not overpowering at all..

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Eazy9, thanks for responding, but, that's still not a recipe. Are you holding out on us?

DEW

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              He don't want to reveal his secret recipe Dewesq55

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I'm feeling, DWC. I don't share mine anyplace but here. But I DO share them here.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here