Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blues Hog Original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blues Hog Original

I have very much enjoyed BH Tennessee Red, so I was excited to finally try the BH Original with the BB ribs I did today. Whoa Nellie, that original is WAY too sweet for my tastes. I'll cut the rest of the bottle with some NC vinegar sauce and see if that makes it tolerable.

I agree. What's interesting though is on a spoon it's not quite so sweet, to me anyway, at least I taste a lot more of he actual spices in it and not just sugar. On meat though wowzer it's straight sugar jelly. It's also great mixed 50/50-ish with their Mustard sauce or any other mustard sauce. Good for chicken especially methinks.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm... 50/50 with mustard. Sounds amazing. I vary on my tastes for sweet. I love BH. I also have a love affair with mustard. Why didn’t I think of that!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, really dang good, cut 50/50. with their Tennessee Red, but more so with beef/pork, vs yardbird...

I still love it as a final glaze on pork ribs. Helps cut the richness of the pork fat.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s also nice on vanilla ice cream.

I think it pairs nice as a finish glaze on top of a spicy or savory rub, but I agree... Solo it's too sweet

Comment

I also thought it was way too sweet. I do think there are a few other sauces available though.

Comment

Mixed 50/50 with Head Country it is outstanding

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          That's my go to mixture for ribs. +1.

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          That is what I do. Got a gallon jug of HC in the frig and quarts on the shelf of BH. Just mix the day of the cook.

True Dat, Thom Emery! Head Country is purty decent stuff, imo...

BH Original is also quite tasty, mixed 50/50 with their Tennessee Red...

Or, jus buy their Competition Blend, which is jus that.

Too sweet is definitely a buzzkill, fer me...I vastly prefer savory, umami, an even spicy profiles, but to each their own.

Comment

I love it, but I love sweet sweet sweet...but not always on barbecue.

Comment

I cooked 5 butts for a neighbor's shindig yesterday. He went to buy the meat and came back with Tyson butts, much to my dismay. I have had their ribs, and their stuff is way too salty. I'll make sure I have a batch of MMD handy if I have to use Tyson again. Stick ta chicken, ya'll. But that Blues Hog Original sauce was just what the doctor ordered to cut that saltiness Otherwise I agree, too sweet.

Comment

I always mix Blues hog original with the Tennessee Red about 50/50 makes the best sauce out there IMHO.

Comment

I could main line that Blue Hog original.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not gonna say zackly how I know this, Brother, but be most certain to utilize isopropyl alcohol on th injection site, both before, an after, to prevent th sugar from causin a rather nasty, an persistent infection...
                  Or, so I've heared...

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  An, no, I've never been a IV drug user, but watched lotsa idiots do so, in my life...

It is pretty sweet. I cut it with worcestshire, onion and garlic powder and hot sauce. Just mess with it til it tastes right. Funny thing, I have to go to north georgia to buy it.

Comment

• fttank
                  fttank commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My Ace Hardware sells it!

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fttank, I found it at Ace too.

I too think it's too sweet. I bought a bottle of Tennessee Red and a bottle of original last summer. The red didn't last long at all. Most of the original is still in the fridge.

Comment

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. The Red is fine; the original, not so much. Troutman suggested above using the original as a finishing glaze which just might be A-OK.

Anyhoo, I am gonna try and fix the original by diluting with NC vinegar sauce...and then not buy it again.

• Jon Liebers
                  Jon Liebers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  mix the blues hog / w Tenn Red.

I think it's perfect. To top a sundae or just some ice cream.

It also glazes nicely, but a thin thin coat.

Comment

• Nate
                  Nate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bingo... As a 1 coat thin glaze... it isn't a sauce you want to keep layering on... gives a pretty finished color on ribs.

I love the Original! We all have our own tastes, I guess!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here