Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Molasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Molasses

Don't know if you would technically call this molasses but I want to try it and see how it would go with the BBQ. I just saw this come across my canning group and I IMMEDIATELY though of Q. Think about it. and think about an apple orchard smoke. You pork butt, apple juice in the drip pan, apple wood smoldering on the fire. apple molasses in the rub making it a paste. apple juice and apple cider vinegar to deglaze, then the sauce sweetened with apple cider molasses. oh WOW!

> Apple Cider Molasses
    >
    > From: food and family
    >
    > 2 gallons apple cider (or less, but remember you will be reducing this)
    >
    > Pour apple cider into a very large, non-reactive stockpot (stainless
    > steel, copper, or glass, but NOT aluminum unless it's coated.)
    >
    > Use a clean ruler or wooden stick that you can mark with the starting
    > level of the cider.
    >
    > Turn heat to high, cover the pot with a splatter screen (to prevent
    > flies or other insects from dropping into the pot) and bring to a boil.
    >
    > Boil the cider hard until it has reduced to 1/7th of its original
    > volume. Watch more carefully toward the end because it may creep up
    > higher in the pan as it becomes thicker and bubbles stack up on each
    > other. Turn off the heat and let the bubbles die down to check the depth
    > of the liquid with your ruler or dipstick. You should end up with
    > approximately the volume that it takes to fill a clean, empty 750ml wine
    > bottle.
    >
    > Pour into a prepared jars leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Process jars in
    > a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Adjust time according to your
    > altitude.

WOW! I bet this would be awesome on a ham! --Ed

Comment

When I used to work bakery shifts back in the day, we would make apple syrup to glaze our strudels. Our method was similar, although we would sometimes spice it up to suit a particular situation. For anything requiring sweetness and complexity, one could substitute the apple syrup for the sugar(s). Sometimes, I'll cheat and just buy frozen concentrated apple juice or cider. I've done this with ribs, and it turned out great, but one has to wet rub them, and wait a few hours before cooking. In other words, use it like any other syrup.

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        I use concentrated fruit juices for lots of things, myself. I have used it for making Cheesecake and for making marshmallows. the concentrated flavor is SO easy to use for various cooking purposes. You are right, it is a great resource when looking for intense flavor.

I just had a thought (a strange and rare feeling. not sure how I feel about it). the Apple Molasses would make an interesting syrup for bacon cure. I may just have to try that. Starting another batch of bacon on cure today and we'll put more in the cure next week. yes, I LOVE bacon!

Comment

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        It would be deadly on bacon, as well as a great replacement for maple syrup/corn syrup in sausage making too. It would also make a fantastic caramel, both solid and sauce. Imagine a caramel apple with apple caramel. My grandkids would go ape sh#t ballistic over that.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here