Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best bbq sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may be selfish but I cook to my taste not to please others tastes. I may not win any contests but I sure enjoy eating what I cook. So the best sauce, as many have stated, is what you like best

Comment

I'm guilty of getting tunnel vision when it gets to what I like. We are usually in the no sauce group. There is a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays in the fridge for those who want it. This last Sunday I cooked a pork butt. My son showed up with a bowl of fresh coleslaw and a bottle of Kraft Carolina Mustard sauce. It was really good on my sandwich! Sometimes a little change helps me open my eyes to new possibilities.

Comment

As far as store sauces, my favorite is Bill Johnson's. It's the only one I let in my house.

Comment

I like to make my own although I buy sauces sometimes too. This is a good recipe book for sauces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9781523500819_p0_v9_s550x406.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	662921

Comment

My favorite is the Blue's Hog Smokey Mountain BBQ Sauce. It is Sweet, Smokey and Rich. Excellent on Ribs and a pulled pork sandwich.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	smokey-pint_900x.png Views:	1 Size:	493.3 KB ID:	662925
            Daddy Sam's is also a close second.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Unknown.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	15.3 KB ID:	662926

I also love Meathead's version of the Bob Gibson's White sauce! Very under rated!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	ken-and-white-bbq-sauce.jpg Views:	1 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	662927

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack, try this one; a friend gave it to me and it is really good:
              White BBQ Sauce
              1 cup mayonnaise
              1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
              1/4 cup lemon juice
              1 tablespoon powdered garlic
              1 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
              1 teaspoon mustard powder
              1/4 teaspoon salt
              1/2 teaspoon finely ground cayenne pepper
              Whisk together, let sit in the fridge for a day if possible.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Will do, thanks!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Try Meathead's you won't be disappointed. Attjack

Best sauce? A good appetite!

But Huskee's Shawsh is on my list of things to make soon, based on what y'all are sayin'

Comment

So since I can't resist looking at books (I am sort of a nerd), I immediately went to look at the book Attjack mentioned above. Look what showed up in the "customers who bought this also bought":

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cookbooks.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	662934
              Overall 5 start reviews. Our guy!

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Come to think of it, I do too except the Pitmaster one and Project Fire. I got the Kindle edition of the Raichlen sauce book right after I saw your post. MCBS?

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Have Project Smoke, a first edition BBQ Bible, a kindle of Franklin, and have gotten multiple people (self included) Meathead. Haven't watched but one season of Project Fire, which is just Project Smoke, rebooted a bit, and with a touch more grilling than smoking. Haven't cooked anything out of Smoke, but seems legit, even if he likes a sweet rib.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I have all of those books except the pitmaster one.

where can I find Huskee's Shawsh sauce. sounds like something I's like to try. Thanks

Comment

I generally use barbecue sauce as a condiment (dipping chicken nuggets in, dumping some in a pan of cut up hillshire farms sausages, etc.) and not for cooking. When I make pulled pork I usually make up a batch of Carolina Gold sauce and some vinegar sauce. And if I am cooking some chicken pieces I will sometimes brush them with some sauce towards the end.

As far as commercial sauces go I like Wright Peach Chipotle sauce: https://mkt.com/wright-bbq-company/ or there is a local restaurant here that makes Old South Barbecue Sauce which is a nice Texas style sauce: https://www.shop.chicken-n-more.com/main.sc

Comment

If you get a chance try the first commercial BBQ sauce, billed as unchanged since its debut.

Comment

Meathead says "taste is a matter of taste" all the time, so I’ll agree with y’all that the one you like best is the best.

But if you say KC Masterpiece, we can’t be friends anymore.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LoL!

• Lazy Layne
                    Lazy Layne commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I couldnt agree more, haha

For pork shoulder: Lexington Dip or Carolina Gold
                  Ribs: Carolina Gold
                  Brisket: None
                  Chicken: Most often none. Occasionally Alabama White.

I don't touch anything that has molasses in it.

Comment

When I do use sauce, which is not often, I like a sweet one. After a year of messing around, I finally make one of my own that pleases the ol' lady and my guests.

Comment

Black Swan Gourmet BBQ Sauce!

Comment

I’ve never purchased a sauce from any store that I’ve liked. I brought some sauce back from Franklin I enjoyed and I understand they sell them in HEB but I don’t live down their. 100% of the sauces From the grocery store I’ve had, are too sweet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here