Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This sauce recipe looks awful.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sauce recipe looks awful.

This is for something called "Batman Sauce", that was pretty famous in the '60s and '70s in the Monongahela Valley, south of Pittsburgh. There are many recipes, who knows if this one is original or not. I've thought about making it, but I really don't see any point. The batch would be huge, probably a gallon or more, depending on how it reduces.

1 24 oz can tomato sauce
    1 24 oz can tomato paste
    1 16 oz can tomato paste
    1 chopped green pepper
    1 chopped onion
    2 16 oz cans water
    1 10 oz bottle A1 sauce
    15 oz bottle Worcestershire sauce
    1 bottle liquid smoke
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    2 tablespoons old bay seasoning
    3 tablespoons ground red cayenne pepper (up or down for atomic, mild, etc)
    1 bottle Tabasco sauce
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes Add 1-2 tablespoons baking soda to reduce acidity and then simmer for 5-6 hours.

Mosca ,

Sorry for the earlier confusion the post caused some folks... wasn’t a slight towards you personally at all... More of a wordy observation on something else...

Anyway what I was getting at was maybe you could doctor this thing up and make it your own... then publish it to us... as others have.

cheers!
    Last edited by Nate; October 28, 2018, 08:25 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Naw, I just want to see what you think it would taste like. I think it would taste like peppery vinegary V8 juice, but thicker.

I might give it a try I use more than a gallon of BBQ sauce a week. Something new for my peeps to sample.

Comment

I don't know........It doesn't seem that bad to me. I would have to reduce the recipe though, that is a lot of sauce.

Thanks for sharing Mosca We (must of us anyway) appreciate you throwing a new sauce in to the mix.

Comment

If it is anything close to V8 I'm out. I even got rid of a vehicle cause it was a V8.

Comment

• jgg85234
          jgg85234 commented
          Editing a comment
          You need to rewatch the Aflac commercial "gooood break" 😏

Mosca
        Brother, thanks fer sharin...

I'll cut n paste it, mebbe try a nano-batch...

Comment

With both Tabasco and cayenne, that sounds pretty spicy. Limited number of people in my clan that like spice unfortunately. Be interesting to hear if anyone tries.

Comment

Given the amount of acidity at least you could use for 10-20...decades.

Comment

Where would one get 'cans of water'?

Anyway, the bottle of liquid smoke is the losing ingredient. There are so many grades of quality, and so many sizes. I use LS, and have never used more than 2 tbsp's, EVER. That part looks weird and scary to me. And I'm using some tonight to marinade beef for jerky.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                That is funny. Instead of "32 oz. water" it says "2 16 oz cans of water."

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee - I remember some of my mother's ancient recipes using open cans as a measuring "cup" ... in this case, I'm guessing that the intent is to use the empty 16 oz. tomato paste can to measure out 32 oz. of tap water (this recipe is old enough that it likely predates bottled water).

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                MBMorgan , I have a few of those recipes as well. One in particular that calls for a can of milk. The first time I made it I called my mother from the grocery store asking about this ingredient. She proceeded to tell me I was to use one of the already emptied cans.

A 15 oz bottle Worcestershire sauce? Even if it makes a gallon of sauce that is a ton of Worcestershire.

Comment

It looks similar a recipe I use from time-to-time for leftover brisket sandwiches (the quantities of the ingredients are much smaller). Yours uses tomato paste and sauce while the recipe I have uses plain old ketchup and more vinegar. Mine says not to use liquid smoke if you smoke the brisket. It kind of makes the brisket taste like an upscale Sloppy Joes. The recipe is called Texas Beef BBQ from Jeanne Voltz' Barbecued Ribs and other Great Feeds. Hers doesn't have the same fire spices, but I added them to zest it up. It's funny because while I liked the plain meat off of the smoker, the kids couldn't wait for the leftover sandwiches. Ketchup sauce and soggy buns are magnets for kids!

Comment

Does the "don't judge a book by its cover" principle apply to recipes? Hmmm... regardless, I will let some other adventurous soul try this sauce. I too am leery of the amounts of some ingredients....but then again if it's a recipe that's been shared & repeated & such, it's gotta have a degree of edibility.

Comment

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can't we just, sort'a, pick someone and tell 'em to make the sauce and let us know? Hold a poll maybe? (nooooooooooooo, NOT me....)

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here