Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Sauce

I read Meathead's request to rate recipes on the main page and did my diligence. Like CaptainMike, I used the opportunity to enjoy a beverage or two and to smoke a pork belly. Delicious bacon. Delicious Sierra Nevada Sidecar mixed with Octoberfest in the same glass. It makes a great beer.

Anyhow, as I ran through the recipes I came to the White Sauce and knew that if it were not for this site I would never have tried it. While I have put my own spin on it, the idea came from Amazing Ribs and boy O boy, what a hit it has been. I figure that if someone puts a recipe that inspired them with a link to the rating, it will remind people to vote. If everyone does it at the same time it will get watered down. So maybe one or two a day from one or two members as a reminder to visit the ratings page will spur us to keep the ratings going and will get us to try something we haven't done before or in awhile.

Packed full of flavor, this recipe for Alabama white BBQ sauce is the perfect addition to grilled and smoked chicken. Adapted from the original white BBQ sauce that was created by famed Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Que in Decatur, Alabama, this isn't your ordinary sticky sweet BBQ sauce as it relies on mayonnaise and vinegar.

Click the link and rate the White Sauce if you have tried it. If you haven't - you really should.

I discovered that from Chris Lily's book, and let me tell you, I was missing out! One of my favorite bbq sauces

Comment

That sauce is life changing!! Glad to see you brother!

Comment

• Jeffrey R
        Jeffrey R commented
        Editing a comment
        I too had never had it,until I tried my hand at it. This sauce is fantastic!! Never realized what I've been missing over the years.

Great idea on the 'rating' reminder tbob! Much appreciated. And it's good to see you back visiting again!

Google loves recipes that are rated, especially highly rated, and Googles shares us quicker with new folks when our recipes have high ratings.

Comment

One of my favorite new white sauces is from a Food Truck called Thunderbird wings in Nashville. Picked it up at a local BBQ Store and have been hooked since.

Comment

I love this white sauce!

Comment

My first batch I was undecided on whether or not I liked it, found it a bit to acidic but others I served liked it a lot.
            Then advice came from somebody on the site to add a bit of sugar and that made it far more palatable for me.

Comment

One of my neighbors turned me on to this sauce. Love it. Funny thing, it reminds me vaguely of ranch dressing, and I don't really like ranch dressing, but I love the sauce.

Comment

A few years ago I made a batch with some chicken thighs, just to try it. My 2 boys and I killed the bottle in one sitting! Now there is always a bottle or two in the fridge.

Comment

I've been meaning to make an Alabama sauce for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by holehogg View Post
                    My first batch I was undecided on whether or not I liked it, found it a bit to acidic but others I served liked it a lot.
                    Then advice came from somebody on the site to add a bit of sugar and that made it far more palatable for me.
                    I may be the guilty party that suggested adding a little sugar to balance out the acidity. I grew up in Northern Alabama (where white sauce originated (thanks to Big Bob Gibson)) and, while Meathead 's version is almost spot-on, I remember our secret-family-recipe version of it being a little sweeter ... so ... whenever I make it, I always add 1 TBSP (15 ml.) of plain white table sugar. Tastes just like home ...

Comment

• holehogg
                      holehogg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It was thee the guilty party. Another good example of tgood advice offered. You can either try it or not. Glad I did. MBMorgan

• tbob4
                      tbob4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm guilty of it, as well. I add a bit of non-alcoholic lime margarita mix which does the same as the sugar.

Man, that stuff is good. I didn't think I would like it, but was I ever wrong.

Comment

I haven't made this recipe only something like it. Go back about 25 years. I got my exposure to BBQ in Texas while in college. A couple years later I was working in north Alabama. I went to the company picnic and BBQ chicken was on the menu. They served me my chicken and asked if I wanted this white stuff on it. When asked what it was, they said barbeque sauce. This boy passed cause everyone knows barbeque sauce isn't white. Fast forward 22 years, I expanded what I try. I made a similar recipe and now I can't have chicken without it. Funny how my views have changed with age. To think I lived within mile of Big Bob's place and only went once or twice. I will come back later and post a review of this recipe. I am planning on a chicken this weekend and I gotta have the white sauce.

Comment

This thread has inspired me to make his tomorrow for dinner. Although will have to go at it with my Weber gasser. I don’t have my Smoker or $30 wonder kettle but it’ll be good regardless!

question to those who have made this - would rubbing the chicken with meat church all purpose rub be ok? Some say the white sauce should or could be sweet, I thought this may help with that. As well as a bit of spice. Just curious. Or is it S/P only?? And I know ya really what I want the flavors to be, just thinking how I can get a great outcome.

Thanks.

Comment

I had never even heard of this sauce before finding this site. I'm so curious about it! In fact, as chicken thighs/legs tend to be very forgiving, this may be the inaugural dish with my new Weber kettle. There's a great video by ABCBarbecue on the link referenced in the first post.

--Michael

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here