Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Orange-Jalapeno BBQ Shawsh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huskee's Orange-Jalapeno BBQ Shawsh

This is based on my Original Shawsh, a sweet, peppery & vinegary KC-style BBQ sauce, but with an extra orange and jalapeno kick.
    See also my new Huskee's Mustard Shawsh.

Huskee's Orange-Jalapeno Shawsh
    • 3 C Ketchup (I use Heinz since it's a fav in my house)
    • 1 C white sugar
    • 1/2 C brown sugar
    • 3/4 C apple cider vinegar
    • *1.5 Cups good quality orange juice, pulped works great in this recipe
    • 2 Tbsp molasses
    • 1 Tbsp mustard (yellow ballpark style, from a bottle)
    • 1 Tbsp table salt
    • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
    • 1 Tbsp coarse black pepper
    • 2 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tsp onion powder
    • 1 finely chopped jalapeno, no seeds

Chop and run the jalapeno through a food processor to pulverize it and get it to a juicy semi-coarse mush. (Wear gloves! Do not touch eyes while working with jalapenos! Wash hands after handling the jalapeno parts & removing gloves!)

Add all ingredients (*except orange juice) in medium saucepan over medium heat.

For best results, add jalapeno mash to the saucepan/pot first and heat gently for a couple minutes. Then stir in each ingredient separately beginning with vinegar and ketchup, until mixed well. Bring to simmer/very low boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, stirring regularly for one hour. *After one hour, add the 1.5 Cups of orange juice. Stir well and remove from heat.

This sauce is best served warm, but cold out of the fridge is fine too based on your preference.

Don't necessarily relieve yourself while working with jalapeno's either, or you'll have the garden hose down your pants.

Don't ask me how I know...

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, done that only once - tried sour cream on it, but not much help! And... this sauce sounds like something I will try - copying to my One-Note.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, and keep yer mits off yer wife too.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1t7OCESUw for some reason this song popped into my head.

Originally posted by JGo37 View Post
    Don't necessarily relieve yourself while working with jalapeno's either, or you'll have the garden hose down your pants.

Don't ask me how I know...
    Ouch! Even though I know better, I STILL RUBBED MY EYE yesterday, and of course it was right after seeding & chopping the jalapeno. Dummy. Thankfully the 'I-want-to-die-my-eye-hurts-so-badly' searing pain only last about 10-15 minutes if you get water on it right away...

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Habits - you get distracted, you end up in pain.

• Abom
      Abom commented
      Editing a comment
      Now see, that's where you're going wrong! Water won't cut that oil. Next time use some dish soap!

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, my pain lasted 10 - 15 hours and my wife thought my cornea would be scarred. Thankfully looks OK today. Pretty much, anyway.

I cain't, with a clear conscience, recommend doin either of th above moves, after handlin Ghosties, Scorps, or Reapers, neither...
    Ain't gonna be no 10-15 minute deal, more like how fast can we git to th ER??? YMWV

Thanks, Huskee fer sharin this new take on yer delicious Shawsh! Much appreciated, Brother!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF thanks fer th Zappa, Brother !

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Done that with Reapers ONCE. Two days after I was still burning my eyes. Lesson learned.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Luckily I usually have an ER with me - my wife is a Triage / First Response nurse. When I'm hurt, she tells me how stupid I am. That doesn't help.

thanks Huskee for sharing, this sounds really good....what meat do you like to use it on best???

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I like it on both chicken & pork. I've never found a sauce I like on smoked beef, but many others have told me this is good on beef. I need to develop a better beef BBQ sauce, stay tuned!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      This one sounded like it would be great on beef!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF my b&sil loved it on smoked beef but i think it's too sweet. It could just be my aversion to sweet on beef.

Hey Huskee, on a 1-5 scale, heat factor? I’d guess about a 2?
    Gotta try this - have a whole chicken on the smoker right now. Will let you know. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      When you taste it on a spoon, about a 3 or 4. On meat, 2. If you like heat you can use 2 jalapenos

• obiQsmoker
      obiQsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent, just what I needed. Anxious to try - will let you know.

Great, more crap to impress people with.

Comment

Thanks Huskee for the recipie ..
      Will try it.

Comment

Nice sounding sauce. Mainly the type of ingredients I would use for that style sauce. As for a beef sauce I like a savory vinegar sauce.

I too have had the rubbed eye syndrome. Never had the hand down the pants syndrome but I've heard if you do stick your hand down your pants don't go having sex with your woman. She won't like you after that. LOL

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I only have half a bottle of the original left so I'm due for a new batch.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I look forward to your thoughts if you try it

Bravo once again Huskee !! I just posted my pomegranate-orange sauce recipe, somewhat like this one but more sweet, less heat.

Comment

Thanks for sharing... recipes are stored in my One-Note... I like to collect here...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture SW.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	555663Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture sw1.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	555662

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              #honored

• obiQsmoker
              obiQsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah, a fellow OneNote guy- outstanding tool. Great for my smoking journal too!

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              That's cool! My Google Drive needs to be better organized. I've played around with OneNote but never went far.

That sounds like a real tasty sauce. Now you're gonna need a label when you start offering that concoction to the world:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HuskeesShawsh.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	557454

I love the name by the way!

Comment

Thanks for the recipe brother. I was thinking of doing some smoked chicken this weekend and I think this recipe pretty much locks in that decision.

Comment

i am very interested in this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here