Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone else a sucker for sauces while traveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone else a sucker for sauces while traveling

Anytime we stop by a roadside store in the middle of nowhere I am attracted to the sauces like a moth to a light. Not the rubs just the sauces. And I’m a sucker for something I’ve never had. My wife says I have a problem. The only problem I see is there is so much out there to taste. These are from a quick run to South Texas this week.
    Attached Files

Guilty...

Comment

Never was myself. I like to look at what is available if I'm somewhere like Bucceees, and don't get me wrong, I got the House BBQ today with my chicken mcnuggets.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
        Obi-Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        I like Buccees, especially their super clean restrooms. But I don’t get the cult following. I know people here who plan their trips around stops at Buccees. And the youth group at our church can’t go anywhere without stopping by one. But I think what perplexes me the most is who buys a grill, or a smoker, or a deer stand from there? Those are hardly impulse buys.

Speaking of sauces, check this out, with particular reference to the sidebar on the left.

https://amazingribs.com/barbecue-his...as-white-house

Here's Ladybird's recipe, since you can't copy and paste it from the article.

Ladybird Johnson's BBQ Sauce

1/4 cup butter
      1/4 cup lemon juice
      1/4 cup vinegar
      1/4 cup catsup
      1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
      Salt and pepper to taste
      Tabasco Sauce to taste
      Red Pepper to taste
      Garlic or onion (optional)

Melt butter in a sauce pan then add other ingredients and bring to boil.

Pour over meat if cooking in the oven or use as a "mop" on the grill.

If using for chicken in the oven, place single layer of chicken in a pan and place under the broiler and brown chicken on both sides until golden. Change to the regular oven (350 degrees). Cover chicken with barbeque sauce and cook uncovered for about an hour until tender. Baste often.

Note: The presence of catsup (ketchup) might dictate that it only be applied as a mop near the end of the cooking time.

Last edited by gcdmd; June 13, 2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Good recipe!

• Obi-Dan
        Obi-Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny you mention this. I was just reading her recipe for chili like 20 minutes ago.

Yup. I tend to pick up hot sauces whenever I find myself in a place other than where I live.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        We were just in Gatlinburg and stopped by the pepper palace... I tried some of their bbq sauces and dry rubs. Picked up a ghost pepper rub then I tried their "Death by Salsa"...NEVER again...HA. Wow that stuff was a little too much for me.

• Obi-Dan
        Obi-Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        Dadof3Illinois Too bad it didn’t taste better. "Death by Salsa" is a great name.

• PappyBBQ
        PappyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Obi-Dan been to that store! Still there!

Dadof3Illinois thanks for that tip! I'll be in Gatlinburg in September and will look this place up!

Ah, no.

Comment

My dad KenC52 is on a quest to hit the top 100 BBQ joints in Texas. He grabs sauces he likes from the places he eats. Me, Myself, I like to taste something and then attempt to replicate it or improve at home.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I like your dad.

Before I really got into making my own sauce I would bring home a selection of Famous Dave's sauce from a retailer up north called Menards. They carried Georgia Mustard and Wilbur's Revenge Hot Sauce that I couldn't find in any grocery store. The restaurants don't sell sauce, although you can get to-go packets. They're available online if you don't mind doubling your cost with shipping. I fly commercial so I'll run into trouble trying to bring bottles in my carryon these days.

Originally posted by gcdmd View Post
        Here's Ladybird's recipe, since you can't copy and paste it from the article.

Ladybird Johnson's BBQ Sauce
        Thanks for that! I'm always looking to add to my recipe collection.

Speaking of Presidential BBQ, here's Eisenhower's grill at The Henry Ford (museum) in Dearborn MI from when I was there last year.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that thing seriously teal?? Man have things changed.

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          That thing is awesome. And you know he didn’t have to clean it or lug it around. New guy on the Secret Service detail gets that job.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Grill Force One!!!!!!

A truly great president - and a Republican one too!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here