Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

favorite store bought rubs and sauces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

favorite store bought rubs and sauces.

hey guyrs , i'm looking for some suggestions for store bought rubs and sauces. My general sauce of choice has been blues hog( I mix it with their red sauce), and rubs I tend to use (like) Chanpionship Head, Butcher BBQ honey, Plow boys. What's your favorites and why? thanks

I like the dizzy pig rubs. The cow lick, dizzy dust, and raging river are excellent. They also have a salt free option on some of them which lets me dry brine before the rub.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I do too - been using them for a bunch of years at this point. Great for when you're feeling too lazy to make your own, and some imaginative mixes. I also like Stubbs' hotter sauces. Versatile!

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely agree with the Dizzy Pig rubs! Try Tsunami Spin, and Swamp venom if you like some heat.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And what's that Jamaican one? Thunder77

Bearded Butcher sauce, best hands down I (and many others attest) have ever had. Check them out.

The Bearded Butchers' website is where we bring our passion of artisan butchery to you at home. Our proprietary blend of Spices, Commercial Grade Cutlery, and How-To Knowledge are all available here, where they can be delivered directly to your doorstep or screen!

Comment

I don't often use store bought rubs, but I bought a Dizzy Pig rub a while back that we both like a lot. It's called Peking, and has an Asian flavor that works well on pork and chicken.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Peking is awesome!

Pork rubs: Killer Hogs BBQ Rub, Oak Ridge BBQ Dominator Rib Rub
      Brisket: Oak Ridge BBQ Black Ops
      Chicken: Plowboys Yard Bird

Comment

Blues Hog is my favorite sauce. For rubs I really like Simply Marvelous Spicy Green Apple and Everglades Cactus Dust.
        Last edited by Obi-Dan; June 6, 2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1546.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	511745 We like this so much we bought a 6-pack of it off of Amazon

Comment

Sweet Baby Ray’s for sauce - available at Costco so it is reasonably priced and I think very versatile.

Beef rub - Cash Cow from Big Poppa Smokers. I tried this on a whim and have been extremely impressed.

Chicken/Pork rub - Desert Gold also from Big Poppa Smokers. The wife puts this on "everything". Happy wife/Happy Life.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
              Obi-Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              I do like Cash Cow. Didn’t care for the smell out of the shaker but man was it good on that brisket.

• rodkeary
              rodkeary commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn’t do the smell test but I did think the texture was odd. I’ve never seen a rub that powdery. But the results speak for themselves. As you mentioned it is excellent on brisket and I have done short ribs as well. All good!

Sweet baby rays chipotle

Comment

I like all the john henry rubs, and Byrons butt rub too. Suckle busters has some great stuff, especially the Texas pecan. St elmos is fantastic on chicken...probably the best. Salmon magic is my go to for salmon. Gotta throw in there Old Bay for other seafood. As far as sauces go...stubbs all the way. His sticky sweet, and sweet heat are both good on ribs. Sweet baby rays is a distant 2nd. Best sauce on the market for steak is Peter Lugars.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Sfdrew28 3 bottles in the fridge right now. Only downfall is it must remain refrigerated even before opening. try it on a baked tater!!!

• Sfdrew28
                Sfdrew28 commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m from Brooklyn and have eaten there several times. My friends used to send me bottles but for me it just fell off my radar until I read your post.

• Sfdrew28
                Sfdrew28 commented
                Editing a comment
                One more thing... I used to put it on the tomato and onion salad they serve more than their steak.

Everyone in my family loves my ribs which I use Stubbs pork rub on.

Comment

Cheapest BBQ sauce works for me. Montreal Steak Seasoning- BIG salt particles...nuff said.

Comment

• ssandy_561
                  ssandy_561 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm originally from the Buffalo area so a love for Montreal Steak seasoning is coded into us as children

Love the Blues Hog line up for sauce. For rubs I like the Oak Ridge BBQ line up. Always fresh stuff. The Spice House has some great blends as well and like Oak Ridge always fresh.

Comment

I really like McCormicks Applewood rub. and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. I just started using the Salt Lick chicken rub and like it.

Comment

I've been really into this Williams Sonoma Ghost Chili BBQ sauce, though I rarely use bbq sauce.

I like Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork rub. I love the celery seed in it.

Montreal Steak seasoning is the only thing that graces my steaks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here