Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blues Hog Original BBQ Sauce does not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blues Hog Original BBQ Sauce does not...

...suit my taste - sorry guys, (and gals), but it's too sweet for me. However, my wife did like it. But the story here is really that Dizzy Pigs Peking rub is very good on both ribs and chicken.

After all the talk here about the Blues Hog sauces, I decided to see if I could find it locally, and I did. The store also had a bunch of Dizzy Pig rubs. I decided to try their Peking rub and bought a bottle of that too. As it happened, I already had a St Louis rack dry brining in the refrigerator. So the next day I rubbed half the rack with the Peking rub and the other half with the Blues Hog and on the kettle it went. When it was close to ready, I applied teriyaki sauce to half the rack leaving the other half with just rub. The other half only got the BH sauce.

Now my wife has never been a big fan of ribs, so I don't smoke them very often, and I cooked her some scallops hot and fast just in case. She did like the ribs - both the rubbed and the rubbed and sauced, and the BH. But she ate the scallops anyway.

So if you'd like a different take on ribs, Dizzy Pig's Peking rub might be a good way to go, and the addition of teriyaki sauce was also good.

And I cooked some chicken breasts with the Peking rub last night and we both liked them a lot.
    Last edited by RonB; May 3, 2018, 07:59 PM.

Sorry to hear you didn’t like it. I tend to mix about half original and half Tennessee red.... it cuts the sweet factor some.

Nice you found something you did like though.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't worry about it. People liking different things is the reason there are so many choices.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Nate, you have made Blues Hog Champion sauce, and it is excellent!

Cool info, many thanks fer yer input!
    Hope yall enjoyed th meal, sounds delicious!

Comment

Blues Hog Reg with Head Country Reg 50/50 That works for us

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Do tell. Is that a good choice for competitions?

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the heads up...

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Nate I see what you did there.

Ron, as usual I'm con- fussed. You did BH sauce only on 1/2 and dizzy rub and teriyaki on the other half?

Dont worry about me, I'll catch up.

BH rub is awesome too!

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I cut the rack in half. One piece rubbed with the Peking rub and the other went naked. When almost ready, the Peking piece got teriyaki on half and the naked piece got BH on half.

Steve
      Well it was back when
      we still use it in catering
      There are SO many great sauces now
      sweet with a kick at the end is still popular

Comment

Hmmm, sounds like you need to get a new wife.

Comment

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          But the wife liked it so maybe she should find a new .......

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          NO - no - no! Now that the wife likes it, I don't need a new wife. Happy days are here again! Not only that, since I also liked the Peking rub with the teriyaki, I am not stuck with only one way to prepare any more, and I can fix ribs more often.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Whew, that was close!

I like the Blues Hog championship sauce and the Tennessee Red sauce.

Comment

Well truth be known, I'm with you RonB , I think the stuff is hideous. I ordered some after the wildly popular reviews here and everywhere else and can't stand the stuff, WAY to much sugar and more sugar. Reading the ingredients gave me a toothache. Having said that, I really don't like much of any sauce at all on my bbq. I wanna taste the meat, or at the very least add the meat's own jus to enhance it's flavor.

Sorry guys, tie me to the whipping post but I ain't no fan.

Comment

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            No need for that. Some folks like vinegar sauce, some a sugar sauce, while others like mustard or white sauces... I like to change it up as not to get bored.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            I could and did eat those ribs, but I would prefer something less sweet.

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman "Sorry guys, tie me to the whipping post but I ain't no fan." Texans...
            Just kidding! I actually totally agree! I do keep a bottle of Blues Hog on hand for those that like sweet sauce but it would last me a long time!

I have to try the Peking rub. I will be at Dizzy Pig headquarters tomorrow!!!

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope you like it...

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m sure I will. I love Swamp Venom and Tsunami Spin. I am getting a huge bottle of Peruvian this weekend.

Dizzy Pig makes great stuff! I love their Tsunami Spin on wings. I will have to try the Peking rub.

I love Blue's Hog sauce, but I can see why others don't. It is really sweet. Not the first time I have heard someone say they don't care for it. Glad you found an alternative Ron!

Comment

I've been using the Dizzy Pig rubs for several years, and have always liked them for when I'm too lazy to make my own (which is 90% of the time).

"Hey Man, you're too slow getting that thing in the cooker"! "Oh yeah, Dizzy Pig"!

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I need to go back to that store and check out Dizzy Pigs other rubs.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              They're all pretty much great. The basic is great for pork. The "Montreal Steak" is very good for beef. And then there are the fish or poultry oriented ones, and among my favorites, the hot ones like the Jamaica and Swamp.

I have been accused of candying my ribs so I guess that is why I like the blues hogs...but I will say a little goes a long way. A single coating that is then put over high heat to caramelize some of the sugar is my preference. To each their own.

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you got it right. I personally don’t care for it, I guess because I was raised in vinegar country, but I did a thin one coat on ribs and everyone thought it was great. You have to hit the right balance with it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here