Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrister DEW's Rum Molasses Barbecue Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    That's cool, Barry. I'll have to try if I can ever find a brisket around here! Again, I'm so happy you are using and enjoying the sauce.

DEW

• Marauderer
    replied
    Just a follow up on this sauce. I have found it is the best on Beef Brisket for me. It complements the beef flavor unbelievably. If you like sauce this one is fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    I'm glad you and wife enjoyed it, Barry. I never thought about the "background" of the sauce, but now that I am, I think it is kind of Caribbean influenced with the rum and black strap molasses. I was working on a KC-style sauce recipe, which is pretty good, but wanted to change it up, so, on a whim, i subbed out a portion of the vinegar in that recipe with the black strap rum and swapped out the light corn syrup for molasses, tweaked the seasoning a little et voila!

DEW

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    I let it in the fridge for 24 hrs to let the flavor settle.

First impression, I have never had a BBQ sauce with a flavor even close to this. My wife remembered one from decades ago but said it was much sweeter than this. Anyway when I tasted it by itself I wasn't overly impressed. But when I put some on the chicken i smoked today it was outstanding and I will have it around to share with others. I am looking forward to trying it with pork. Pulled, sliced, ribs, even ham.

My next question is what is this sauces background? Is it European, Polish, Hungarian, German, Jamaican? IMWTK!

Anyway, thank you DEW for sharing this wonderful recipe. I wouldn't do a thing to change it.

Oh, I did add the optional liquid smoke and only 1/2 tsp Chipotle pepper instead of powder.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    My pleasure. I hope you enjoy it.

• Marauderer
    replied
    OK hear we go.

The ingredients that I used.

The ketchup and dijon mustard

Whisked in so it doesn't clump.(new All-Clad BD5 Sauce pan is awesome)

Worcester sauce

The rest of the ingredients including the mystical Cruzan Blackstrap Rum all added per the Barrister's directions.

Brought to a boils while whisking and then simmered/slight boil for 40 min.

Cooled, pan scraped into container and in the fridge for a min. of 24 hrs.

I am doing chicken legs on the grill today and will be having a bit of BDEWRMBBQS with them.

Thanks for sharing Barrister!!

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Barry, please post away. We are very fond of it for ribs. I have also used it with success on BBQ chicken parts.

• _John_
    replied
    I really wanna see if my place carries this rum, it sounds amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    DEW, I have made your recipe verbatim and would be willing to post on this thread with pics if OK with you?

Do you have a particular meat you use this with over others or do you use it as a general BBQ sauce? I has a really unique and interesting flavor.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Another note about the Cruzan Black Strap Rum: It is absolutely awesome floated on top of a Mai Tai. I will post my own recipe for this tasty tropically influenced cocktail in the Drink Recipes channel

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    started a topic Barrister DEW's Rum Molasses Barbecue Sauce

Barrister DEW's Rum Molasses Barbecue Sauce

1 CUP KETCHUP
    1/3 CUP DIJON MUSTARD
    1 CUP WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
    ¾ CUP CIDER VINEGAR
    1/2 CUP BLACK-STRAP RUM
    *SEE NOTE BELOW
    1 TBSP LIQUID SMOKE (OPTIONAL)
    2 TBSP BROWN SUGAR
    1 TBSP GARLIC POWDER

1 TBSP ONION POWDER
    1 TBSP CHILI POWDER

1 tsp CHIPOTLE POWDER (OPTIONAL)
    1 CUP UNSULPHERED MOLASSES

IN A GOOD SIZED SAUCEPAN, WHISK TOGETHER KETCHUP AND MUSTARD UNTIL WELL COMBINED TO AVOID "MUSTARD FLOATERS" WHEN COOKING. GRADUALLY WHISK IN THE WORCESTERSHIRE UNTIL WELL INCORPORATED AND AN EVEN CONSISTENCY. ADD IN VINEGAR, RUM (*NOTE: I USE A HARD TO FIND PRODUCT CALLED CRUZAN BLACKSTRAP RUM. YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE ANOTHER DARK RUM, SUCH AS MYERS OR GOSLINGS, BUT IT WILL NOT TASTE QUITE AS GOOD) AND LIQUID SMOKE, IF USING. ADD IN THE DRIED SPICES AND STIR/WHISK TO THOROUGHLY COMBINE. FINALLY ADD IN THE MOLASSES AND STIR TO INCORPORATE.

BRING THE WHOLE MESS TO A BOIL OVER MEDIUM HIGH HEAT THEN IMMEDIATELY TURN DOWN TO MED. LOW OR LOW AND SIMMER/LOW BOIL FOR ABOUT 40 MINUTES UNTIL MODERATELY THICK AND WILL COAT THE BACK OF A WOODEN SPOON. STIR FREQUENTLY DURING COOKING AND ESPECIALLY STIR DOWN THE SIDES OF THE POT WHICH DEVELOP DEPOSITS OF THE SAUCE WHICH CONDENSES OUT OF THE STEAM. WHEN DONE REMOVE FROM THE HEAT TO COOL. REFRIGERATE TO CHILL THOROUGHLY BEFORE USING. YOU CAN WARM UP AGAIN TO USE IF YOU LIKE BUT IT COMES OUT BEST IF IT IS FIRST CHILLED WELL. IF TIME IS SHORT, I TAKE THE POT RIGHT FROM THE STOVE AND PLACE IT INTO A VERY LARGE BOWL OR PAN FILLED WITH LOTS OF ICE WATER AND STIR CONSTANTLY UNTIL COOL. THIS ONLY TAKES ABOUT 10 MINUTES AND ALLOWS THE SAUCE TO BE MADE AND CHILLED IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.

NOTES:
    1. I highly recommend the "optional" Chipotle powder.
    2. I suggest using a salt free chili powder, such as homemade or plain ancho.
    3. I have recently begin adding about ½TBSP (1½ tsp) of tamarind paste and think it adds a little something.

If you use this please post comments or critiques. If you make mods, please post them.

"Barrister" DEW
    Last edited by Dewesq55; August 20, 2020, 07:49 AM. Reason: Added some notes and a recent tweak.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here