Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asian style bbq sauce recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian style bbq sauce recipe

I want to make a Asian style bbq sauce for ribs on the weekend. Does anyone have any good recipes?

Have you seen these Chinatown Char Sui Ribs? I love this recipe. Which reminds me.........

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a good one!

I don't really use a recipe, but I do make a brown sauce from scratch for stir fry. It should work for ribs very well. I don't really measure, so the amounts below are approximate. You can adjust the amounts to change the quantity of sauce, just keep the proportions the same. Or you can adjust the proportions to suit your taste. It gets heated as I stir fry, so I'd suggest heating this a bit to help the flavors meld, (maybe 10 min).

I start with equal parts of hoisin sauce and bean paste - usually about 3 tbsp each.*
    Then I add some plum sauce. This is sweet, so I add about 1 tbsp for chicken, but a bit less for beef.

That's the basic recipe, but you can add a small amount of soy sauce for umami, but it's very salty, so if you have dry brined your protein, don't add too much.

I normally stir fry some fresh ginger and garlic as the first step. You can do that in a tbsp or two of oil, then add the other ingredients, but remove the ginger first. Or you can use ginger and garlic powders. For the amount above, I'd start with about 1/4 tsp each, and adjust to taste.

* You can sub chili bean paste for the bean paste, but it's got a fair amount of kick, so if anyone who will be eating the ribs can't take the heat, use ~ 1 tsp the first time and adjust from there. You do not have to use chili bean paste.

If you don't have access to a good Asian food selection, use whatever bean paste you can find - some have garlic added. If you use that, don't add any more garlic.

Good luck.

Comment

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/gochujang-glaze This glaze is amazing. I've made is several times.

Comment

You might also check out some of the recipes on Harry Soo's website, he has several Asian glazes he routinely makes....

This blog is my personal call to YOU for action! I’m looking for volunteers to help launch our Grilling Life Skills Program for at-risk yo

Comment

ATK & Cook's Country has a recipe for Chinese Style Glazed Pork Tenderloin in their 7th season book that we use for grilling tenderloins that is excellent (if you don't overdo it on the ginger. Big difference between fresh and powdered). This is for 2 12-16 ounce loins. It may also work on ribs.

1/2 soy sauce
          1/2 cup apricot preserves
          1/4 cup hoison sauce
          1/4 cup dry sherry
          2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (this is where I usually mess up by not using fresh)
          1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
          2 garlic cloves minced
          1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
          1 teaspoon pepper
          1/4 cup ketchup
          1 tablespoon molasses
          2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Combine soy sauce, preserves, hoisin, sherry, ginger, sesame oil, garlic, 5 spice powder, and pepper in bowl. Reserve 3/4 cup of marinade. Place pork in large zipper lock bag and pour remaining marinade into bag with pork. Seal bag, turn to coat, and refrigerate 30 minutes to 4 hours.

Combine reserved marinate, ketchup, and molasses in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until syrupy and reduced to 3/4 cup, 3-5 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup glaze for glazing cooked pork.

Flip the loins continually and brush with glaze until an internal of 140 is reached.

Like all of their recipe's they make them pretty much bullet proof.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
            Sgt Tyree commented
            Editing a comment
            Correction : 1/2 "cup" soy sauce.

As somewhere over a quarter of the world’s population identifies as Asian, and it stretches from Turkey to Japan and from eastern Russia down to Indonesia, I’m gonna ask that you be a bit more specific. What goes in Japan (plum based sauce for eel) will be much different than Char Sui from a part of China, which will be very different from a Korean take or a Viet.

Comment

Sorry I was super busy yesterday so I wrote that post really quickly. Thanks heaps for the suggestions. That's exactly what I was looking for. You guys always deliver. I'll decide on one or two or three of them and make them up on the weekend (I might even combine some of them).
            ​​​​​​I know Asian is a broad term but I am really up for anything. Anyone got any eastern Russian bbq sauce recipes? That sounds awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here