Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas BBQ Juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas BBQ Juice

Is there a good way to thicken the Texas BBQ Juice, or should I just keep cookin' it down to thicken the sauce? I am pretty sure I should not add flower.... any ideas?

Ummmmmm there is. I such thing as stupid questions so here goes, what is Texas BBQ juice?

Comment

• Blue Lou
      Blue Lou commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi... well, check out in the recipie section of the Amazingrib... its in there.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      There is no such thing as a stupid question if you genuinely want the answer.

I have added masa in the past to help thicken the sauce. But you want the sauce to be pretty thin.

It has been a few years since I have made a mop sauce.

Comment

• Blue Lou
      Blue Lou commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, I reduced it be half... my son like it on a brisket sandwitch and its just a bit runny for that... I thougt about adding flower or masa, but, I live the teaste as it is... but, thanks for the insight.

I add Wondra Flour and simmer it down.

Comment

I don't know how much you are making, but you can use cornstarch to thicken sauces. Put about a tbs in a small dish and add about a tbs of water - slowly stirring each time you add a bit. It you add the water too quickly, the starch will clump. Then add that mixture to your sauce a bit at a time and stir until it thickens. This works for about a cup of sauce, so adjust the amounts accordingly.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto on the corn starch. Something my wife taught me & she is a champ at with gravies.

• djotaku
        djotaku commented
        Editing a comment
        I came to say the same thing and also my wife taught me about it.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice wives. All mine taught me is how to pull my hair out, and turn grey the ones I missed.....

Typically a good mopping sauce is pretty thin. In any case, any time I want to thicken anything (sauce, beans, gravy, cement, mortar,) I use my home made bulk bacon roux.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, my turn, dumb question #2, what is bacon roux, good ol' grease?

• Notavegan
        Notavegan commented
        Editing a comment
        Bacon fat and flour?

Lonnie?

Yep. I keep a bulk roux I make with bacon grease and flour. It's great in everything that needs a good thickening.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Best I don't rub any on my skull then, it's thick enough!!

Thank all of you... great advice.... will put it to work.

Comment

Xantham Gum?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Lou View Post
          Is there a good way to thicken the Texas BBQ Juice, or should I just keep cookin' it down to thicken the sauce? I am pretty sure I should not add flower.... any ideas?
          My advice is never add flower, rather deflower.

Comment

• Blue Lou
            Blue Lou commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you great tip.

Gelatin will thicken the sauce and give it a fuller mouth feel. pretty much any starch, cooked into a roux or water paste will thicken your sauce so long as you, at some point, bring the starch to a boil so that the starches explode and gelatinze. For chilis and such, i like to use corn flour or corn meal because in those, you want just a touch of that grit. but, if your goal is a smooth sauce, you want the smoothest gel you can achieve. that move through the stages of the flours, the wondra, the cornstach. just make certain you cook it enough and hot enough to blow the starch molecules.

Comment

• Blue Lou
            Blue Lou commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Karon....helpful tip, and science is cool too. 😏

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here