Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pucker Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pucker Up

Ok, so I tried Meathead SC Mustard Sauce. Any suggestion on how to tone that down a little?

Hmmmmmm.........What do you want "toned down"?

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
      Hmmmmmm.........What do you want "toned down"?
      It's too strong.

Comment

My guess is the vinegar.

Are you putting it on something or just going straight from the bowl?

It kicks straight from the bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          My guess is the vinegar.

Are you putting it on something or just going straight from the bowl?

It kicks straight from the bowl.
          Was thinking I would have it as another choice for a gathering next Friday. Smokin' up some pork butt and chuckies. Presently have Mr. Bones KC sauce made as well as both NC sauces. Having family from across the country in so trying to display all this Southern goodness.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            No, how are YOU tasting it to know it is too strong. Many sauces are "too much" as is, but as soon as you put them on something to blend with other flavors, it works out great. Also, over time the flavors meld more.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm honored that ya' made my "KC meets Tennessee" sauce, better known as 001!
            (I've been told by several people, in th' BBQ cognoscenti, that there's a hint of th' Carolinas in there, as well!)
            So Be It!!!
            >¡Schuldig!<
            It was indeed, quite intentional...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 30, 2017, 03:13 PM.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Please, let me know your / your family's impression of it...
            (Be sure to serve warmed up, for best results!)
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 30, 2017, 03:18 PM.

"Sticker Fingers Carolina" and "Sweet Baby Ray's Carolina " are sweet versions of the South Carolina Mustard Sauce.

Comment

Are you talking the Grown Up Mustard, or the Carolina Gold? If the latter, try mixing it 50/50 with your favorite red KC style sauce. And if you have it, a little dash of lime juice. Mmmm it's so good, my favorite for smoked chicken. I dubbed it Michigan Amber, since MI never has been or will be on the BBQ map I had to pay homage to my state somehow.

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought you wasn’t a sauce person

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              DWCowles Not, but this is REALLY GOOD on smoked chicken, or as a nugget dip

I made a batch of this last night, but had to make a couple of substitutions. No Dijon mustard so I had to use French's Classic and added an additional 1/4 cup of cider vinegar to make up for the tang from Dijon. Also no pepper flakes so I used some dried, ground, and smoked jalapeno powder that I make instead. After everything was mixed and simmered I used my stick blender to make it smooth enough to put back in the French's bottle and squeeze it out. Man this stuff is AWESOME! I love spicy mustard but now I won't be buying it anymore, just making it! As a friend of mine is often saying, "This would even make salad taste good!"

Comment

Maybe give one of the "gold" standard bearers a shot and see what you think needs your own modification. Two that come to mind: Maurice's and Shealy's.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here