Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation for a sauce for pork sandwiches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation for a sauce for pork sandwiches

Hey Guys,

So yesterday's pulled pork turned out great (according to the SO and kids). I did not wrap it - so I do not have a drip pan filled with nice things.

What sauce(s) would you recommend to make it super tasty as a sandwich?

I'm concerned that it may be dry after a night in the fridge.

Thanks!

When I did mine a few weeks ago I used Meatheads KC classic sauce and thought it turned out great.

Comment

Ok not sure why that link didn't post right or why it won't let me get rid of it but here's the right one.

Say so long to bottled BBQ sauce and hello to amped up homemade Kansas City-style sauce with this step-by-step recipe. Thick and sweet, Kansas City barbecue sauce has been a crowd favorite since the introduction of KC Masterpiece in the 70s. Our delicious recipe features multiple layers of flavors, sweets, and heats.

Comment

Thanks Jmoscrip

Comment

One of these days I'll try MH's sauce. I used to make my own by starting with a fairly neutral BBQ sauce (Chris & Pitts - not sure you can even get it now) and adding a bunch of stuff to it. What I was creating was very similar to Bullseye, except at the time there was no such sauce. So now I just use Bullseye.

Comment

• JohnF
            JohnF commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep Chris and Pitts is available from Amazon, I found bottles on the shelf at Raley's in Dana Point Ca and forgot how good it was straight from the bottle, it's my go to for pork now.

We went to Chris and Pitts when I was young in SoCal and as I remember it was very good, I googled it and they are alive and well today, will have to try next trip to the southland.

I do something like MH's Kansas City Sauce but with more vinegar, more like a NC BBQ style. I love it on pulled pork.

If it's in a well sealed container it probably won't dry out quickly, though whenever I'm concerned about dryness I'll mix 1/4 tsp each of Wylers Beef and Chicken granules with 1/2 cup of hot water and put that in the container with my pulled pork or brisket.

Anymore, I inject with a similar solution (1/2 tsp each of beef and chicken granules with 1/2 cup of water, 1 tsp soy sauce, and spices). Never get a dry piece of meat with a good injection. I know some people are against it, but it seems like a fool proof way to ensure a juicy piece of BBQ.

Comment

I have been nothing but my pork, mayo, and bread. However I will try the following one day.

In South Carolina BBQ sauces feature mustard. Here's a mustard BBQ sauce recipe that amps up the flavor with herbs. It is especially good on pulled pork, pork chops, baked potatoes, pretzels, hot dogs, and so much more.

Comment

• fredcanfly
              fredcanfly commented
              Editing a comment
              That is the one I use constantly for pork! I love that sauce! Someday I will be trying it out on some baked chicken.

My vote is a mixture of Meathead's Columbia Gold (mustard-based) http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...BBQ_sauce.html AND mix it 50/50 with your favorite regular (KC style) BBQ sauce.

I find this, in my personal taste to be the best on pork and chicken alike. It has the zing of mustard tempered with the sweet of the KC.

I use MH's Columbia Gold mixed with my own personal recipe for KC style vinegary sweet ketchup-based sauce. I mix in just a touch of lime juice, and I call the finished product "Huskee's Michigan Amber". I give credit to Meathead for the excellent Columbia Gold mustard recipe.
            Last edited by Huskee; July 20, 2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• David S
              David S commented
              Editing a comment
              Love MH's Columbia Gold Sauce. Big hit with everyone!

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee, have you posted the recipe for your sauce??

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thunder77 Yes, it's in the sauces section. Huskee's Original Shawsh. Pretty easy to make compared to some other more involved recipes.

I'm heading out on a fishing trip next week and I'm doing my "famous" pulled pork sandwiches for the guys Saturday night. I'm going to smoke a pork shoulder either Thursday or Friday and take it up cold Saturday. So I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as wjHunter. First, I warm the pork up in a foil pan at around 200-250 degrees; I sprinkle some beer over the meat and then I seal the container with HD foil. 45 minutes later, the pork is tender and juicy. This is the best way to reheat that amazing meat that I've found.

I make the sauce ahead and I use a combination of the following two recipes from the food network:

Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce:

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
            1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
            1/4 cup ketchup
            1 tablespoon hot sauce
            1 teaspoon browning and seasoning sauce
            1/2 teaspoon salt
            1/2 teaspoon onion powder
            1/2 teaspoon pepper
            1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Peppery Vinegar Sauce:

1 quart cider vinegar
            1 tablespoon dried crushed red pepper
            1 tablespoon salt
            1 1/2 teaspoons pepper

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/s...ml?oc=linkback

I want a cider-vinegary-peppery sauce to offset the richness of the meat. I've tried the mustard-based sauces...just not my thing. I add a slice of Havarti or better yet, peppered Havarti to the sandwich along with MH's creamy deli cole slaw (adding a tablespoon of Keen's hot mustard!!!) and that my friends, is the greatest sandwich I've ever tasted.

When I say I combine the sauces above, I heat over medium or less heat and basically cut back on the sugar in the cider vinegar sauce and add the crushed red peppers and increase the use of FRESH ground pepper per the Peppery Vinegar Sauce recipe. And I taste it till I like it. The sauce should be fairly runny and it should "soak" into the meat.

Wiping drool off my keyboard now.

Comment

I've done the extact same thing on our rustic fishing trips. I do up pork butt, pull it up, either take it up warm in a SS bowl wrapped in towels (faux cambro), or if it's cold and I need to reheat, I put the SS bowl on the coleman stove and heat up. Mmmm tasty at fish camp...

Comment

• John Tanner
                John Tanner commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly....tell me it's not the best after a day on the water??!!! :-)

• JPP
                JPP commented
                Editing a comment
                Time for a stoopid question: what's an SS bowl?

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Not a stupid question at all. Stainless Steel. Sturdy, thick, helps hold heat, can take abuse from being heated on the Coleman stove at camp.

The South Carolina mustard sauce is my fave by far for pulled pork:

In Mid-South Carolina, from Columbia to Charleston on the coast, BBQ sauce is yellow. HereÍs a quick and easy recipe for classic South Carolina mustard sauce. For those who are only familiar with traditional red BBQ sauces, yellow mustard sauce can be jarring at first -- at least until that first flavorful bite.

Comment

If you are looking to just pick something up from the store, here are my fave's, all of them are made with real sugar, not corn syrup. Hickory Spice, can't get enough of that stuff! http://www.garlandjacks.com/ Yuengling BBQ sauce made with their beer is awesome. http://www.yuengling.com/store/misce...auce-_regular/ Webers are great as well http://www.weberseasonings.com/produ...d=98&sel=sauce

Comment

I really like Meathead's KC sauce. But lately I've been using Adam Perry Lang's sauce: http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/apl-bbq-sauce . The grated apple and jalapeño that is stirred in at the end give it a nice finish.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like a good finisher

• ghipes
                    ghipes commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I made this sauce for PB this past weekend. While SC Mustard is still my favorite, this is a close second. Loved it on smoked chicken and the PB. Nice sweet front end and a kick of heat at the end. Thanks for sharing it.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                  I have been nothing but my pork, mayo, and bread. However I will try the following one day.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/other...ard_sauce.html
                  I keep this one on hand all the time..

Comment

I love MH's East Carolina sauce:

Create your own amazing East Carolina vinegar BBQ sauce and mop with this simple to follow recipe. Tangy and spicy, Low Country vinegar sauce is great for finishing fatty pork and does double duty as a baste (or mop) for adding layers of flavor to the meat as it cooks. Because it is so thin, it penetrates deep.

I have served it numerous times and people love it. I usually put the E.C sauce on half of the pulled pork and leave the other half plain so people can use my K.C. sauce if they want.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here