Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corned Beef Caramel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corned Beef Caramel

Cooked off the corned beef today and just took a half cup f the juice to see how it cooked down.

BE CAREFUL! this is already a very rich liquid. already mostly sugar, salt and gelatin! so watch to cook down closely! it can boil up and over FAST!

so, cook it off slowly. there will likely be some that gets up on the side of the pa and burns. that is going to smell like any burned sugar. but, if you watch it and carefully cook it down, the caramel you'll get will be VERY yummy! intensely salty so tread lightly when using it! but, OH YEAH! meat sugars with the salt and pickling spices are fantastic! it might even crystallize with this much salt. which, in the end is going to give you a meaty, spiced salt.

I am looking forward to trying this in my Reuben Hand pies tomorrow! I am almost about to talk myself into skipping the corned beef and going straight to the hand pies but, nope, the meat actually wants to sit overnight, first.

I am very excited!!

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post
    Cooked off the corned beef today and just took a half cup f the juice to see how it cooked down.

BE CAREFUL! this is already a very rich liquid. already mostly sugar, salt and gelatin! so watch to cook down closely! it can boil up and over FAST!

so, cook it off slowly. there will likely be some that gets up on the side of the pa and burns. that is going to smell like any burned sugar. but, if you watch it and carefully cook it down, the caramel you'll get will be VERY yummy! intensely salty so tread lightly when using it! but, OH YEAH! meat sugars with the salt and pickling spices are fantastic! it might even crystallize with this much salt. which, in the end is going to give you a meaty, spiced salt.

I am looking forward to trying this in my Reuben Hand pies tomorrow! I am almost about to talk myself into skipping the corned beef and going straight to the hand pies but, nope, the meat actually wants to sit overnight, first.

I am very excited!!
    "Reuben Hand Pies"? Do tell!

Comment

Ok. I'm going to want to drool over some pictures! Please show and tell how the pies turn out!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here