Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I broke it!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO glad to hear it! Congratulations!!! That is a VERY pretty box!

Comment

you know, you might up the intensity if you cook it to the caramel stage to get the sear flavor, then, thin it enough to wipe onto or brush onto the meat, and put as much of the concentrated as you judge tastes good directly onto the meat as you put the slices into the box. that brings the sear taste right to the meat. put that on the meat, and the sauce on top. the sear caramel is different from the sauce as it is the meat on it's own (kinda) before you add vinegar & sweet and anything else to the sauce. I am SO tickled you did well. the real question will come if you continue to use it and it continues to be a key to the checks!!

Comment

I made a mistake on my first run -- I didn't take it all the way to caramel. Next run, I will. A side by side test of straight Head Country sauce compared to the augmented, the augmented is superb! That brisket is my last Flora Butcher one until I make a trip down there. It'll be a true test this weekend. I've got a trimmed half flat from Walmart and a trimed half prime brisket that I'm cooking for the Stuttgart, AR contest. I'm going to do just what I did last weekend, except I will inject to add moisture.

Comment

I had always used my dripping but it wasn't until my Darling Tovi was sick that i ever considered cooking down to see how far it would go. She was very ill with Lymphoma and we had to feed her boiled chicken breast and rice. one day, I was looking at that quart of water left after the chicken had been boiled and the brand new saucier I had just received and though, "Wonder what i'd get if i cooked that water down and concentrated the chicken flavor?" I mean, we had been tossing the boiling water out so it would be no loss, and I wanted to try my now pot! it tasted like the perfectly cooked skin on fried chicken. it was AMAZING! I started cooking it down every day. got a tablespoon or more in each cook.

next thing I knew, I was cooking down everything in sight. when you make Bacon, use a deep water drip pan and cook it down to caramel. it is almost pure smoke. FANTASTIC to augment BBQ sauce or just to have in the fridge. put a teaspoon of it in the bag when you do sous vide and you have a kiss of smoke in the bag.

We aleays get pig's feet when we do pork butt. the feet are cut by the butcher longwise and then into small pieces. they get a coating of our rub, too and we put them on the grill, then, we put the butt on a heavier grate, one that was originally the rack in a toaster oven. it's perfect for moving the butt around without damaging it. so, meat goes on that rack and we set that rack on top of the pig's feet, which sit directly on the smoker grate. the drippings from the meat and the drippings from the feet all drip down into the drip pan. after 9-10 hours, we take the drip pan out, usually just moving the meat to the oven to finish, and make the sauce. Using the pig's feat means a LOT more raw material for saucemaking.

Yesterday, I did something new. I took the feet from the last cook and put them in the pressure cooker, added a couple of tablespoons of pantry rub (my rub mix that has not bee cooked) and put it in the pressure cooker, too. cooked it at a full extra atmosphere so the internal temp would be 250 for an hour.

when I opened it, I had almost no skin, certainly no tissues left on the feet and the bones were crumbling. we cooked the gelatin down and ended with a full cup of gelatin so thick that when it cooled, it was chewey like a gummy worm. that will be the basis for extra sauce.

Comment

I'm really hoping this makes a difference. to see it be a part of your cooking and prove the idea will be wonderful to watch!
            Last edited by Karon Adams; April 25, 2017, 10:20 AM. Reason: cause I can't speel

Comment

GREAT technique! I especially like the addition of a collagen source like a trotter. I make a lot of stock, especially from chicken and turkey carcasses or beef bones. In my book you will find a recipe for a Momofuku style smoked bone broth ramen dish.

When I make stock, I cook it down to a concentrate and pour it into ice cube trays and freeze. Then the cubes go into a zipper bag so whenever I need some stock, there it is. I do this with the turkey gravy that I make under my Ultimate Turkey, especially.

From a technical standpoint, I think it is not a caramel, which is sugar based. It is closer to a demi-glace or a soup base. See this article http://amazingribs.com/recipes/my_in..._bouillon.html

Comment

• Karon Adams
                Karon Adams commented
                Editing a comment
                I do that, too but usually freeze in quarts because when I get around to using it, I cook it down to gelatin or caramel. but, you need gelatin to do that so you need connective tissue, not just bones. toss in feet & wingtips

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here