Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to get saucy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get saucy

Hi everyone. I am looking for a sauce that is a little spicy that's not really watery but not like syrup either. Not too sweet. What do you guys/girls think. I would like to be able to buy one but could also make one too. Never made a sauce before. Thanks, Clark

For what? Pork-Beef...

There are several regions which have evolved their own unique barbecue and sauce styles, often influenced by the available meats and their ethnic origins. Their flavors and history are fascinating. Our barbecue sauce recipes will teach you how to make your own sauce the way the experts do.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 3, 2014, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Clarkgriswald
      Clarkgriswald commented
      Editing a comment
      For pork sorry. Shoulder probably.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      For that check out the South Carolina mustard, Grown Up Mustard, or the Lexington for a red sauce for some folks....

For pulled pork, I recently tried the East Carolina Kiss & Vinegar Sauce and loved it. This was with pulled pork that had been made with Memphis Dust, but as you'll see from the webpage it can also be a mop.

Comment

Clark... plan on making it. I am convinced we can make any sauce that is better than you can buy. Besides... this site is a gold mine of great recipes that leaves the store-bought stuff in the dust!

Comment

• Clarkgriswald
        Clarkgriswald commented
        Editing a comment
        I do want to make my own Clark special sauce/rub. It's a beauty Clark.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        My favorite is his dad choking up over the Christmas lights...."It's a beaut Clark, it's a beaut"

I really like MH's Carolina Gold mustard sauce. I make a sauce that is a standard KC-style red BBQ sauce with a little twist. I have it here under sauces called Huskee's Original Shawsh. Easy to make, no dicing veggies, no straining, simmer one hour. It's tad spicy as is, but you could add more black pepper or a small dash of cayenne if you chose to. When it's on meat it tends to seem sweet, but when you taste it in a spoon by itself it tastes more spicy & vinegary.

Something I really enjoy is mixing my sauce (or any KC sauce for that matter) 50/50 with MH's Carolina Gold, then adding just a dash of lime juice. I really really like that combo. Chicken or pork.

Comment

• Clarkgriswald
        Clarkgriswald commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds good Huskee. I will have to try that for sure. Thanks.

I make my own mustard sauce which is in the recipe's that I really like. I usually offer up several (like 6-8) sauces and always rotate in new ones to try them out. The overwhelming favorite is Head Country original which you can pick up just about anywhere for cheap. It's more watery than the typical stuff, but seems just right to me. Most people don't find it very spicy though, but I do occasionally follow the pit barrel site sauce recipe and mix up some sriracha in a bottle with some, that way you can control the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        I make my own mustard sauce which is in the recipe's that I really like. I usually offer up several (like 6-8) sauces and always rotate in new ones to try them out. The overwhelming favorite is Head Country original which you can pick up just about anywhere for cheap. It's more watery than the typical stuff, but seems just right to me. Most people don't find it very spicy though, but I do occasionally follow the pit barrel site sauce recipe and mix up some sriracha in a bottle with some, that way you can control the heat.
        I just ordered some Head Country yesterday.

Comment

Well there you go. I have those restaurant style squeeze bottles I use for my homemade stuff; the Head Country is fairly thin and it has a wide glass mouth which makes it really hard to pour for some so I put it in those squeeze bottles. At just about every cook somebody will ask me for the recipe for it.

Step 1: Buy Head Country
          Step 2: Put in different bottle
          Step 3: Take credit, or don't.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Well there you go. I have those restaurant style squeeze bottles I use for my homemade stuff; the Head Country is fairly thin and it has a wide glass mouth which makes it really hard to pour for some so I put it in those squeeze bottles. At just about every cook somebody will ask me for the recipe for it.

Step 1: Buy Head Country
            Step 2: Put in different bottle
            Step 3: Take credit, or don't.

That's funny!

Comment

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what I do. I mix 1 part Head Country Original with 1 part Blues Hog Original and put it in a squeeze bottle. Meets my BBQ sauce requirement - last bite with sauce has to taste as good as the first bite with sauce.

I just posted my take in a Western Carolina style pulled pork sauce here: http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...led-pork-sauce

Comment

Without a doubt if it is sauce for pulled pork try MH's Carolina Gold.

Just make sure you let it is for a few days to let the flavors meld together; I found it a bit vinegar-heavy when first made, but leave it in the fridge a few days shaking the bottle from time to time and there is nothing better than a few drops of it of some fresh pulled pork!

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha, HC was a good dude. Miss his posts.

I like tangy mustard sauce. Best I have found so far is MH's Grown Up Mustard. I add a touch more cider vinegar, make it with plain French's and add dried smoked jalapeno pepper powder for a bit more kick. Don't use store bought mustard anymore either! My son makes great red sauce, both a regular and a spicy. He keeps me stocked with it. IM him and I am sure he will share his recipe with you (texastweeter).

Comment

texastweeter Let's get those original recipes! We would love to see them.

Anyone else have some great, original sauces?

Comment

The problem with most national brands of BBQ sauce is that they are out of whack too sweet and too smoky. After a lot of trial and error I developed a recipe that has subtle heat, decent sweetness and tartness with a small smoky profile. Note: This is the revised recipe.
                  To wit:
                  20 oz. Tomato puree
                  1 cup Dark brown sugar
                  1 cup Maple syrup
                  1 cup Cider vinegar
                  1 cup Bourbon (not from the bottom shelf)
                  1 cup A-1 Steak Sauce
                  3 TB Soy sauce
                  2 TSP Minced garlic
                  2 TB Liquid Smoke
                  2 TB Frank's Red Hot sauce (or your favorite)
                  1 TB Kosher or Sea Salt
                  1 TSP Pepper
                  1/2 TSP Five spice powder
                  1/2 TSP Celery seed

The process:
                  Almost every recipe for BBQ sauce calls for making it on the stove top. Using a slow cooker will produce better results because of even all-round heat with no scorching and no hand holding. After dumping the puree, add the cup of the vinegar to the can, stir to dissolve the remainder and add to your cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk to combine.
                  Cook on high or boil for 25-30 minutes then reduce to low or simmer (your cooker may be different) for at least 3 hours. This will reduce and concentrate the mixture.

Bottle and serve to a grateful public.
                  Suggested uses on pork or chicken although it does work on doughnuts. I hope you like.
                  Last edited by dicknodnfs; June 9, 2023, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

[email protected]

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here