Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carolina, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carolina, anyone?

Still getting my feet wet on this site, apologies in advance. Lovin it.
    As I stated in the welcome section I just received my SNS and plan on taking it for a test drive this wknd with a pork shoulder.
    I like a thicker KC style sauce for ribs but my opinion is a good Carolina sauce really helps to bring out the flavor of the pork.
    Any champion Carolina sauces you have in your arsenal fire away. Much appreciation from Minnesota.

Do you have a preference of East Carolina vinegar-based, Western Carolina (or Lexington or Piedmont) tomato and vinegar, or South Carolina mustard-based? It is all vinegar-based in my neck of the woods, but I like all three. I keep it simple and have used recipes similar to the sauce recipes listed here on AR. But I am looking forward to reading other replies.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm an east Carolina vinegar-based guy myself - despite being from Ct/Ca/Ma/NJ. Sometimes the Truth just reveals itself!

I think it depends whether you like your sauce sweet or more vinegar based. And then there is North Carolina and South Carolina Sauces. Based on your liking KC style Sauces, I will suggest two South Carolina sweet Sauces - Sticky Fingers Carolina and Sweet Baby Ray's Carolina. I am not sure if you are aware that these are mustard based Sauces and you have to get past them looking yellow rather than red.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming. I like a thin East Carolina vinegar based sauce for pulled pork.

Comment

Try this one.

Eastern North Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce
        This sauce is going to pucker your taste buds. You can use it as a "mop" or basting sauce while smoking pork, or you can toss it with pulled pork before serving it up on buns, with some extra sauce offered on the side.
        Makes about 3 cups

1½ cups cider vinegar
        1½ cups distilled white vinegar
        1 tablespoon sugar
        1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
        1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
        1 tablespoon salt
        1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

In a medium bowl, whisk all the ingredients together. Store in an airtight container at room temperature; it will keep up to 2 months.
        Excerpt From: Thompson, Fred. “The Kamado Grill Cookbook.

Comment

• CptSoftBelly
          CptSoftBelly commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what I grew up with in eastern NC. Pretty spot on. We use Just apple cider vinegar and the hot sauce used here is Texas Pete. Let it sit for 3-7 days before using.

Blues Hog Tennessee Red Sauce. Vinegary, sweet and complex. I love this sauce!
        Created by legendary pitmaster Bill Arnold, Blues Hog products are used by competition teams, top chefs, and restaurateurs around the world, which is why Blues Hog has been deemed the "Award-Winning, Choice of Champions"! Blues Hog now boasts a full line of sauces, rubs, marinades, wood chunks, and charcoal.

Blues Hog Mustard Sauce, is amazing on pulled pork. Especially with some slaw!
        http://www.blueshog.com/Blues-Hog-Ho...ncp90790ea.htm

And being from Minnesota......Here is the local sauce I like to use. I met this gal at the Fire and Ice Cook off. She is from Minnetonka; her and her family make this sauce. They have three flavors. I love their Hot blend but the others are really good too. You can find them at Lunds, Cub and Kowalski's. Check them out.
        Lucky 19 Sauce Company. 1,096 likes. Lucky 19 Sauce Company is a Minnetonka, Minnesota based food business, featuring Sweet Lil' Devil, Pablo Honey and The Devil's Own BBQ Sauces.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Blues Hog Red ROCKS!!!
          Haven't tried th' Mustard, gonna haveta git me some...

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones Try it with some Pulled Pork. You'll love it.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback. I love a new good sauce. Both these sound great and eager to try. Love me some MN roots

Comment

As a fellow Minnesotan I better add my 2 cents worth on sauces. For a mustard type try Trader Joe's Carolina Sauce or Cookies Tangy Mustard. These probably wouldn't make it in the south but are ok for us in the midwest.

Comment

I love the East Carolina sauce here on AR. Goes great with pork

Comment

FLBuckeye any chance you can paste that recipe here? I've looked for it.

Comment

Gintzu Here it is: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_s...BBQ_sauce.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here