Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need the best Sweet & Tangy BBQ sauce recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need the best Sweet & Tangy BBQ sauce recipe

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce?

I'll also consider a store bought sweet and tangy sauce too, but prefer to make my own.

Scott

I tend to mix 1/2 bottle of KC Masterpiece and 1/2 bottle of Famous Dave's and call her done, but also know there is better stuff out there.

Comment

The DC Mumbo sauce is sweet and sour. Really good, not a tomato based sauce though if that's what you're after.

Comment

I'm definitely ok with a tomato sauce (red) base.

Comment

I had their "Pig Candy" and thus wanted me to be able to recreate a sweet and tangy sauce. I'd definitely buy their commercial sauce, but they don't sell it online. I should have bought a few bottles last time I was there and flew it home in my suitcase.

Comment

I just use the drippings from the wrap, add apple cider vinegar, molasses, and some of the rub with whatever else I have handy. Never the same twice in a row, but usually pretty good.

Comment

I made a glaze for ham over the holidays with some apple juice, orange juice, and passionfruit puree. That mixed with some regular sauce may do the trick!

Comment

1/2 Blues Hog Original & 1/2 Blues Hog Tennessee Red

adjust the ratio to your preference... It has been a hit when I have used it.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is so good. Add some Texas Rib Candy too. That just takes it to the next level.

• scottranda
                  scottranda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This might be the first one I try. Thanks! On a quest for 2017.

• Sierraslick
                  Sierraslick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Although I tend to go 3/4 regular Blues Hog and 1/4 Tennessee Red, this is fantastic stuff and a great mix. I tried over and over to make something similar and finally decided to just buy it.

I have a recipe in the bbq sauce section called Huskee's Original Shawsh. To me it fits those descriptions. Easy to make, requires simmering and reducing for about an hour.

Comment

• scottranda
                  scottranda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. I'll look it up.

One cup of Sweet Baby Ray's......1/4 cup apple juice.....1/4 cup cider vinegar.....2 tbsp of your favorite rub.

Comment

One cup (ish) each vinegar, OJ, catsup, tomato juice (or V8), honey. 1-2 T garlic powder, 2-3 T onion powder, 2-3 T ancho chile powder, a squirt or two of mustard, salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Simmer for about an hour. It's thin, tangy, not too sweet, but sweet enough for me and you can tweak the honey/vinegar ratio to your tastes.

Quick additional note: I remember Huskee had a sauce recipe where he used OJ and added it AFTER cooking. I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds like it might give a fresher citrus taste to the sauce.
                  Last edited by Willy; December 29, 2016, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No sugar or did you omit it?

• Willy
                    Willy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @Huskee--No sugar, just the honey.

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                  Quick additional note: I remember Huskee had a sauce recipe where he used OJ and added it AFTER cooking. I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds like it might give a fresher citrus taste to the sauce.
                  Yep, I add half up front and half after and I think it gives it a nice subtly citrus sweetness to go with the vinegar and pepper. My sauce recipe is here. I was on my phone earlier and didn't feel like trying to post a link via mobile.

Comment

• scottranda
                    scottranda commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! I'll give this a whirl in 2017!

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    scottranda I would appreciate your honest feedback. It's nothing earth shatteringly new or unique, but it's just really good! I have 4 guys, one is my dad, who request I give them as big a bottle as I can spare each time I make a batch.

I like this one...

1 C ketchup
                  1/2 C Apple cider vinegar
                  1/2 C brown sugar, firmly packed
                  1/2 tsp black pepper
                  1/2 tsp table salt
                  1/4 to 1/2 T cayenne pepper (to taste)
                  3 T lemon juice (I used orange and it's more tangy)

Mix everything except ketchup until sugar is dissolved. Add ketchup, bring to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until thickened a bit. Simple, but really yummy on pork.

Comment

• Willy
                    Willy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's CATSUP, dang it!!!! ;«)

From a fellow Arizonan.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here