Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabama White Sauce question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alabama White Sauce question

The instructions say to put this in the fridge for a couple of hours. Rookie question, do you put it cold over the chicken? Warm it? Serve room temp?

either way

Comment

I went straight from the fridge. Not sure if that was right, but if it was wrong I don't want to be right.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I think generally you don't want to be right, regardless.

Hahaha Jerod Broussard! Thanks guys!

Comment

Personally I don't heat it... It may be close to room temp but not because of putting it on the burner or anything...

Side note.... Put some in a condiment bottle before you start dunking chicken in it... That way you can add some to that or anything else you want to add it to after the fact.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Good idea, thanks!

I'm not a big fan of the white. While in the judging tent at a KCBS event, I did sample a pulled chicken entry with white sauce. It was okay. However, I will share a crock pot recipe I cooked on Sunday.

Jackie's Crack Chicken

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
        1 T ranch dressing mix
        1/2 block cream cheese

Cook 4 hours on high in mini crock pot. Shred chicken breast and serve on toasted buns.

Comment

• bchbum12
          bchbum12 commented
          Editing a comment
          This sounds like a tasty winner. I found the white sauce much too thin. Little remained on the chicken. And yes, I followed the recipe. Anxious to give this Crack Chicken a try. Thx.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Pheasant not as "white" as chicken, but the breast meat on ones I get isn't really dark. I raise and shoot about 50 a year plus some wild birds so always looking for new ideas.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Vaguely reminiscent of something I made in the souser... boneless skinless chx breast, heavy cream, tabasco dashes... cook at whatever the JKLA recommended for chx breast... Would work on a bun or over pasta.

Thanks CandySueQ. I've got a couple pounds of shredded chicken breast in the freezer. Would you cook this about an hour if you already have the shredded meat? Just to incorporate the cream cheese and dressing?

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          If your chicken is cooked and shredded, why cook it more? Heat the cream cheese and ranch dressing on defrost setting in the microwave. Stir it up, add defrosted chicken. Be perfect for a sous vide reheat!

Made it last night! Oh my god! So delicious. And Nate I'm pouring it over anything I can think of - leftover rice, salad, YUM. It's a keeper.

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          And SO easy! Glad you enjoyed it.

Personally, I like it at room temp when it goes on the chicken. I've made white sauce before, but most the time I'm lazy and just pick up the Big Bob Gibson's at the publix....

Comment

I grew up in the Northern half of Alabama eating BBQ chicken with white sauce at every opportunity. Our variation on Big Bob Gibson's was (and is to this day) to make it just a bit sweeter and slightly less acidic. The original family recipe seems to be long lost, so I've been making Meathead's, modified slightly by adding a TBSP of sugar and cutting the pepper back to 1.5 tsp medium ground ... all of which make it taste more like I remember it so many years ago.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            We talking Huntsville area? Great place!

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF - Originally from around Birmingham but ultimately moved farther north and graduated from HS in Huntsville.

My family loves Alabama white sauce, I keep a batch in the fridge at all times. We never warm it up, it go's straight from fridge to table.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm a new convert! Putting it on everything.

In his foreword to the recipe, Meathead says that "not everyone likes it." I'm not a big fan, and neither is Mrs.

With food stuff, flavors and whatnot, it's not really that it's bad, it's that there is something else that you like better and would have preferred. Alabama White Sauce is pretty far down the list for us.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here