Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spur of the moment Pork sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spur of the moment Pork sauce

I had to come up with something to throw in the wrap with some country ribs today and this is what I came up with for a small batch. All measurements are approximate.

1/8 cup apple cider
    1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
    3tbsp ketchup (Heinz if it matters)
    2tbsp apple jelly
    2tbsp molasses (maybe 3)
    1tsp cinnamon
    1tsp garlic powder
    1tsp chipotle pepper

I put everything in a pan and let it simmer til it thickened up a bit. I then spread it liberally on the meat before wrapping.

I could have used a bit more vinegar and less apple cider, and could have used a bit more heat in it. It had a distinct apple flavor (which I wanted) but it was not overpowering. Texture turned out pretty good. Could possibly add some salt, but keep in mind how much salt is in the dry-brine if you are sodium sensitive.

This was obviously a small batch with nothing left over. The measurements are my best guess since I usually go by seat-of-my-pants whenever I do something like this, but should give a starting point if you want to play with it.

Thoughts?

If you say it needs more vinegar, what do you think about 1/4C apple cider vinegar, and a couple Tbsp of apple cider? Also I would probably add 1tsp black pepper, since in these types of recipes good ol' plain jane black pepper packs quite a wallop of spiciness.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      That might work. I tend to shy away from black pepper in sauces for texture reasons and make up for it with chipotle, cayenne or even tabasco sauce. Was just a tad too sweet maybe, so drop down to 1tbsp of molasses, too.

For texture and or appearance issues, I substitute fine ground white pepper for the black. Similar flavor & temp profile

Comment

I've heard of white pepper, JB is a big white pepper user. I might need to pick some up. I really like black though so never have found the need to experiment. People taste my BBQ sauce and always say things like "Wow there's a little kick to it, you use a little cayenne in there?" When I tell them no, just 2 tsp black pepper, they're always have this perplexed look and out comes "Wow, I didn't realize pepper could be so spicy."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here