Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coca Cola Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coca Cola Sauce

Made a batch of Coca-Cola sauce for a big BBQ coming up. I tend to make it this size, since it lasts long enough to go through it. This was the first time tracking what I did, and we all liked how it came out. Seems like I usually do more with it, but I stopped when I tested at this formula. Gonna try to make it more "from scratch" maybe later this summer: But here it is as of right now:

2 Liters Coca-Cola
    2 Tsp Garlic Powder
    1 #10 can (7#2oz I think) Heinz Ketchup
    6 oz Spicy Brown Mustard (Guldens)
    6 oz Cider Vinegar
    6 oz chili powder or rub. I used my own blend, which I lost my formula for, but it's basically a bunch of ground chillies that you can get on the Mexican food aisle in the grocery store, some garlic and black pepper.

In a 6 quart pot, add the garlic powder to the coca cola and reduce to about 10 oz. Took me a couple hours on a low simmer
    Once reduced add everything else and simmer for about 30 mins.

That's it. What passes for my basic sweet red sauce. Gonna be fun trying to build the mustard and ketchup components from scratch.

Sounds interesting. When reduced is it thick, thin or somewhere in between? What meats do you like it on? Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Comment

Sounds great - thank you for sharing it!

The problem here is that there are so many recipes, so little time!

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Meathead has a recipe for making your own ketchup, in case this helps you in your endeavor.

Comment

Looks good. You ever try it with Dr. Pepper?

Comment

fuzzydaddy It's pretty thick this time. Sometimes I don't reduce the coke as much and it's thinner, but since I measured everything, I probably didn't put in some liquids I usually do. I honestly didn't expect to stop at the 6 oz base line on Mustard and Vinegar I did. But We all liked where it landed at those measures.

Huskee I plan to look at that one, I also have a Heinz clone and a generic guideline formula I'm going to try and work on melding. Have to do likewise to get a spicy brown mustard baseline too. I want to get it more fully scratch so I can make it at work, and also scale it a bit easier.

Obi-Dan I think I did once, wasn't bad, but not one I repeated. I did do a Cheerwine mustard sauce a couple years ago, before Cheerwine disappeared from our shelves out here that I was happy with.

Comment

I will use Pepsi lol 😎

Comment

"I met her in a club down in old Soho
                Where you drink champagne
                It tastes just like Coca Cola, C-O-L-A cola. ..."

Comment

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't heard The Kinks in years! I might have to break some out this weekend.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There are worse fates!

BarBQ22 was a name given to our barbeque sauce by my daughters. 22 ingredients over all. The ingredients you listed are in mine. A few ideas that will kick it up! Use Mexican cola or a cola with REAL SUGAR! Ketchup I use is French's. No high fructose corn syrup. Real cola , no high fructose corn syrup steps it up a couple notches. Trust Me... Best of luck..

Comment

• mhalbrook
                  mhalbrook commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd use the mexican coke in a heartbeat for a small batch, but for the big batch I usually fix, too cost prohibitive around here. That and I save that for drinking

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here