Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb-free Columbia Gold BBQ Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb-free Columbia Gold BBQ Sauce

While driving home from FL last week, I did stop and have some Cue. While the pulled pork was a bit dry (and the supposed Texas-style brisket god awful), I did have a South Carolina-style mustard vinegar BBQ sauce that I liked. So it made sense to use MH's recipe for my 1st attempt at converting a recipe to carb free.

I made only 3 changes to the recipe (only 2 were carb-related). I replaced the tomato paste with Walden Farms Calorie Free/Sugar Free/Fat Free/Gluten Free Ketchup, the Tabasco with Frank & Teressa's Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce (after all, that's where it all started), and I replaced the sugar with Stevia in the Raw

I use Stevia in the Raw, as it's cut with Maltadextrin to reduce the sweetness instead of just about every other brand that uses a sugar alcohol like erythritol. I think it has a better taste and doesn't have the digestive effect that some get from sugar alcohols. For sauces and such, you're supposed to be able to substitute 1 for 1.

It was a tad sweet "raw," but I don't know what it's supposed to taste like. Still I like it and will use it on some boneless pork loin chops tonight. I'll let you know how it heats.

I may need to micro-adjust next time since the ketchup has some of the recipe ingredients already in it. It's made of water, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, white distilled vinegar, vegetable fiber, sea salt, xanthan gum, onion, garlic, red cabbage coloring and the ever popular "natural flavors."

Tomato paste, which is just tomatoes, has 5 net grams of carbs per tablespoon. Same for Heinz Ketchup, although it has both HFCS and regular corn syrup in it. Not a lot of carb for you regular folk, but for a diabetic on Atkins, every gram counts.

Did my chops just like MH suggests, a brief salt brine (just salt & water, no sugar), then @ 225 with the sauce painted on a few times, on my Performer with a couple of small apple chunks thrown in for good measure.. It didn't caramelize, of course, so they were nothing to look at, but they still tasted very good. Less sweet then it did sitting in the jar. Might still bring it down a notch next time around. But since I've got about 3 cups of it, that may be a little while.

Comment

Nice write up TB!

Comment

I could use some help or expertise if possible. I have made 3 or 4 "test" batches of "gold BBQ" sauce that originally started out with MH's recipe and then I added ingredients or altered to my family's taste. Currently, I am almost where I want to be, but the sauce is still overpowered by mustard. What ingredient(s) would you suggest to "cut" the mustard without affecting the overall integrity of the sauce itself (especially since this is a mustard based sauce). Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          I would guess a little sugar and black pepper -- maybe some onion powder.

Just a WAG.

Thanks...I have added more pepper and sugar, but I have not increased the onion powder, I will increase that too. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the write up, I'm always on the prowl for low or no-carb sauces and rubs.

Comment

I have been a MB BBQ Sauce aficionado since I was about 12 yrs old (No Comments, I do know how old I am!!) When I am lazy I take French's mustard and combine with Williams Bros, BBQ sauce and possibly add some Worcestershire and a couple of dashes of Tabasco. Sometimes I add some molasses if I want a sweeter flavor. The sky is the limit and you don't have to stay in the box with your thinking.

If I was toning down the mustard I would just add a bit of red based BBQ sauce. If you have a quart of sauce made try a 1/2 cup and if not enough add another 1/2 cup. I always simmer my sauce as it mellows it over just adding the components even if I am done and have already simmered it once. If the flavor is right but the sauce is to thin simmer it a while to reduce it. Sometimes that makes the flavor to bold so you have to watch it as everything has a domino affect..

Comment

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              I REALLY like your common sense approach to this... yeah, it is not rocket science!

Marauderer, thanks very much!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here