Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And the best commercial bbq sauce is,,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say it even though it goes without saying: How the heck are you going to pick the pick THE BEST bbq sauce when you only try 13 brands? How many hundreds are out there? thousands?

Comment

• SmokingPat
      SmokingPat commented
      Editing a comment
      It goes without saying ... at least thin the sauce selection.
      Maybe best 'Carolina Mustard' sauce? Best 'Eastern Carolina' sauce? But now, that starts looking like an article for a specialized web site that deals in BBQ.

We’ve started using Kinder’s, mild and spicy. Tomato based, sugar, molasses. Always stay away from HFCS.

Comment

What I'm using these days is Stubbs original and Chaka's Mmmm sauce, mixed 50/50.

Comment

• SmokingPat
        SmokingPat commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, I've forgotten about Chaka sauces! I'll have to look for them again.

So gave the Wally sauce a go with my rib cook today and have to say was pleasantly surprised.
      Beats anything Kraft has ever made.
      On a par with Diana's, a popular brand here.
      Slightly better than Sweet Baby Rays
      Not as good as Stubb's.
      Now this is a really small and in accurate test, as many of you have pointed out go to any grocery store and there are shelves full of rival sauces. Both regional and national brands not to mention Homemade favorites.
      Literally there's no way one of us could try every sauce.
      Bottom line, if your serving a ton of people at a huge BBQ this fills the bill, cheap and not too nasty.
      If your putting on the Ritz, there's much better out there.
      One thing was clean up, when this stuff gets cold on plates and cutlery make sure the hot water heater is full, it sticks like glue.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that’s what I call a glowing endorsement!….”cheap and not too nasty” 😂

My default seems to be Head Country Hot & Spicy which I was introduced to by friends in Oklahoma. It's just now starting to show up on shelves in Nebraska where I reside. If I can't find it I will get Stubb's Sweet Heat. I like it sweet, spicy, and with enough tang that my salivary glands kick into high gear the moment it hits my tongue.

I do have a bad tendency to buy sauces I like at BBQ joints I visit on vacation, forget I got them, then when my wife is reorganizing the pantry she points out the dozen oddball BBQ sauce I have (half of which are now expired). lol

The popular one I cannot stand is probably Sweet Baby Ray's. It's incredibly one-dimensional and chocked full of HFCS (HFCS is seriously the first ingredient in its ingredient list!). However, everyone else seems to be in love with it as I am cursed with it at every backyard BBQ I attend. Locally, people also like Cookies which I also cannot stand.

On a side note, here's an interesting vid on HFCS.
      Last edited by ChadJK; July 11, 2022, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Here’s what I do when I get too many: I mix them all together. It’s sometimes great, always good, and never bad.

I made 3 quarts of my version of KC style (which packs more zip than most) today along with a bunch of E. Carolina mop and some S. Carolina Gold sauce. I’m not using these for sure.

Comment

My favorite is Head country original, my wife likes the sweet habanero version. We were introduced to it while I was in school in OKC. My favorite for anything I’m going to sauce.

Comment

Anyone tried the Buc-ee's BBQ sauce or rubs? I'm always on the hunt for things they carry that I may want to try.

Comment

Well here's my overly simple take- if I need a bottle of sauce and cant' make any, they ALL taste good. Grab one, it will be great. That said, I find it interesting that the panel, made up of whomever it is made up of, found Walmart's to be the best. I think it proves my point well that they're all good.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you're right.

I make 90% of my own sauces because 1) they're better and 2) it allows me to control the salt content. The other 10%, I don't care that much about.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here