Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pumpkin BBQ sauce or glaze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pumpkin BBQ sauce or glaze?

Anyone have a good recipe for either? I'm doing some googling and I'm thinking pumpkin would go well with malt vinegar and sage in a sauce.

Thoughts and ideas on this general concept welcome!

PS: it's going on a pork tenderloin that will be reverse seared to 140.

I should add that I have a fresh, local, tart, ripe Apple that can be used for this as well.

Comment

bbqoaf, Sorry I can't help, but it sound interesting. Let us know how it turns out, Dan

Comment

think about the pumpkin as a sweet. think about what goes in the pie. then, I would look to the similar spices you use for ham. all of that, together, will make a marvelous glaze. there are perfect partners for a reason. If you want to go glaze, you need to remove the pulp. if you have a juice, juice the pumpkin and cook off the juice into a glaze either stovetop or in a dish in the smoker. I would dress the pork with the associated spices and use a nice, deep water pan for drippings. Understand I am a HUGE proponent of sauces and glazes originating with the meat.
        So, water pan under the meat. it will collect the meat drippings, cooked spice drippings and smoke. you can either sneak into the smoker and steal it before the meat is ready or put the meat somewhere to hold while you finish down the sauce.

What I would do, cook down the drip pan ( you can mix it all together and just cook a portion of it, first if time is an issue and you won't need it all just now, some will be used for leftovers). Cook your drippings down until there is little or no water left in it. you'll know, the bubbles will change their behavior. instead of lots of bubbles rolling and popping and giving off steam, they will be thicker and last longer. you'll hear a change in the sound as well. anyway, keep an eye one it. you are now cooking the sugars and protiens from the meat. leave some of the water if you like. but, if you want you can do this and the sauce base will darken and cook down more, if you need it to do so. This can be the base of your sauce/glaze.

You can introduce the pumpkin at one of two places. either put it into the drip pan (and that can be done either with the water to go into the smoker or in the sauce pan when reducing the drippings.) or you can add it to the reduced drippings, and using the water content of the pumpkin to thin the glaze for your sauce.

Whenever you put in the pumpkin, what comes out of this reduction, is your start. you can deglaze with some pineapple juice and just pain this resulting glaze across your whole loin and let that glaze and caramelize on the meat or you can us it as a sauce just after deglaze. you can also take a few tablespoons of drippings, put them in a jar with a little bit of corn starch, shake it and toss it into your deglazed pan and you have a pan sauce, ready for table.

Let me know how it comes out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here