Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No sugar BBQ sauce needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sugar BBQ sauce needed

Because of health reasons, I can no longer use sugar, or any high carb foods for that matter. I’m guessing there may be others here who follow a keto diet. BBQ is such an easy and great way to adopt to a Keto lifestyle. Looking for some recipes for BBQ sauce. I think pork particularly needs some sweet flavor. There is a dizzying array of non sugar sweeteners available now, I’m trying to figure out which ones work best in a BBQ sauce and rub, which will caramelize like sugar with the application of heat.

I know you asked for recipes, but just in case, Walmart and Target carry a line of sugar free BBQ sauces from G. Hughes. I am also on a restricted sugar diet, and these are pretty decent. Here is the website of the maker:

BBQ Sauce — G Hughes Sugar Free Sauce

Comment

I thought Strat50 had some detailed thoughts on this but will return if I can find his thread.

Comment

I’m a type 1, I use no sauces because of sugar. I will sprinkle about a teaspoon of brown sugar over a full rack of pork ribs, but that is it. I have found good flavor in just using my own dry rub’s to compliment and neutralize some of the heavy pork richness. Not saying this is what you will enjoy, but, I have never had a bad review on my rubs. Generally most people can not taste them even. They just think the pork ribs are really good. So you may just want to consider seasoning to lessen some of the heavy flavors, which then makes for a better eating experience.
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 12, 2021, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I've heard that Monkfruit based sweeteners work well for baking and that it carmelizes, but I haven't tried it myself yet. So perhaps it would function more like sugar in a sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by GolfGeezer View Post
            I know you asked for recipes, but just in case, Walmart and Target carry a line of sugar free BBQ sauces from G. Hughes. I am also on a restricted sugar diet, and these are pretty decent. Here is the website of the maker:

BBQ Sauce — G Hughes Sugar Free Sauce
            I’m familiar with these products and use them occasionally. I think they taste OK, but if you look at the ingredients, they contain sucralose. Bad stuff for diabetics. 🙁

Comment

• GolfGeezer
              GolfGeezer commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, learn something everyday! I'm right on the bubble for Type 2, so my knowledge journey is just starting. I see that saccharin, which I use for sweetening in lieu of processed sugars, is considered more "OK".

I have a pantry full of sweeteners: Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, Monkfruit, Bochasweet, to name a few. Just have not done any experimenting to see how they work and a BBQ sauce. Baking with these is a little different application.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I've used Erythritol in a Memphis Dust rub before with reasonably good results. Truth be told it's been a while since I did it so my memory isn't perfect. I probably still have that rub in the cupboard. You should probably just experiment. You could do several small batches using different sugar substitutes and use them all on one rack of ribs.

GolfGeezer if you are new to Keto, the Dr Berry channel is fantastic. Here is a good vid on sweeteners.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Chrz View Post
              I’m a type 1, I use no sauces because of sugar. I will sprinkle about a teaspoon of brown sugar over a full rack of pork ribs, but that is it. I have found good flavor in just using my own dry rub’s to compliment and neutralize some of the heavy pork richness. Not saying this is what you will enjoy, but, I have never had a bad review on my rubs. Generally most people can not taste them even. They just think the pork ribs are really good. So you may just want to consider seasoning to lessen some of the heavy flavors.
              I have done the same with rubs. I’ve also used Swerve Brown as well. Not sure I loved it.

Comment

Many people also find that pork is great with the sauces that are just vinegar and peppers. Especially if you like a little heat, but these can be toned down to quite mild as needed. Cutting the fat with vinegar is a nice change of pace.

Comment

• Dan Deter
                  Dan Deter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was about to say the same thing. A good Eastern NC type sauce!

Originally posted by Jim White View Post
                Many people also find that pork is great with the sauces that are just vinegar and peppers. Especially if you like a little heat, but these can be toned down to quite mild as needed. Cutting the fat with vinegar is a nice change of pace.
                Absolutely, my favorite sauce has been the Carolina (don’t recall if it East or West) mustard vinegar type.

Comment

• Dan Deter
                  Dan Deter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If there's mustard then its South Carolina.

Originally posted by SierraBBQGuy View Post

Absolutely, my favorite sauce has been the Carolina (don’t recall if it East or West) mustard vinegar type.

I guess it’s central S Carolina

Click image for larger version

Name:	239AA4FB-CF11-4956-9AB7-4E69D1590E89.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1108872

Comment

Kinders makes a few bbq sauces that use allulose. Not sure if that's good or bad for diabetics. Based on the little research I've done, it does caramelize. I have a few different ones ordered.

Also, I've really liked their SPG rub to put on any type of beef and pork ribs.

Comment

Allulose is one of the better choices!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here