Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to keep BBQ Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to keep BBQ Sauce

I got a recipe that I really like but have no idea how long can I keep it for. Also, thinking of freezing some for a little taste of summer all year round. Input???

That South Carolina mustard sauce I made still tastes fine after two months. The Kentucky style red stuff turned to glue after a month or two. I dont keep anything with drippings in it more than about a week.

No idea about freezing it.

Comment

Originally posted by jsabol View Post
      I got a recipe that I really like but have no idea how long can I keep it for. Also, thinking of freezing some for a little taste of summer all year round. Input???
      Most homemade sauces have vinegar and ketchup (which contains vinegar) and often mustard (which contains vinegar) and also often contain Worcestershire (which contains vinegar). Vinegar is acidic and lends to its long shelf life, even after being opened. Sauces made with drippings have much less longevity and should be made in smaller batches or consumed a little quicker.

I keep mine sealed in the fridge and it lasts a couple months until it's gone. Rarely have I ever had to toss any out from getting funky. Exactly HOW long, well, I don't exactly know. But I do know if it lasts long enough that it needs thrown out, you need a tastier sauce!!

Comment

I'm making a dripping free sauce so I guess I safe for a couple of weeks to month. Thanks guys.

Comment

Mine are almost always made from drippings, so I usually toss any that are left (not often) after a few days.

Comment

I make mine without drippings and usually only a quart at a time. I use a mustard base recipe and keep in in the fridge. So along with the mustard their is ketchup, worcestershire, seasoning and I keep until it is gone sometimes 2-3 months. I the cap becomes messy I will was it so I don't have dried sauce on the outside to get contaminated.

Comment

Mine is dripping free, and I make it it in big batches on the stove. I then pour it in to Mason jars. When making the sauce, I bring the temp up to boiling, then let it simmer till it gets as thik as I want it. once in the jars the heat will pull a seal, and I put it up, and use it a quart at a time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here