Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Original Shawsh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    I'm delighted to see ya here, an hope ya decide to take th plunge, stick around, an learn along with all of us!

If ya run into any
    frazzlesnazzle bits to the XYZ
    , there are some resources on this site that might jus help to demystify...
    One such place is here: Commonly Used Acronyms & Abbreviations I haveta check it, my dang self, sometimes, to catch up.
    This don't translate to RTFM, like most other sites, where folks can range from brusque, to exponentially worse, it simply gives ya a place to reference, as I do.

By far, an gone, th most incredible resource on this forum is th amassed knowledge, an skills of th Members!

NEVER feel afraid to ask a question, fearin somebody will attack ya. Even if ya might think it's a stupid question!
    I done wore out likely 99+% percent of th stupid questions, in my nigh on to 2 years here; ain't nobody got after me, none.

(Hail, they even let me renew my membership, much to my amazement!)

P.S.: Ya might wanna go easy, addin them frazzlesnazzle bits, leastwise, at first; they can overpower a dish, if ya ain't careful!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 28, 2018, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Yes the peach balsamic was WAY too sweet. But I added more of everything else I had (I didn't have any more ketchup) plus some rice vinegar, and a squeeze of lime juice because I had it and voila, I loved it. My husband thought it was still too sweet. So he used some bottled sauce.
      I can't give the ingredients (or at least not the amounts) because I didn't measure or keep track. And it was not your (Huskee's) sauce, since the fruit was peach not orange.

But this was a fantastic base for me to play with. So thank you. And i will make a batch with the peach balsamic again (because I like sweet) and jot down my measurements. I think 1/2 peach balsamic and 1/2 some other vinegar but I'm not sure which yet.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm happy my recipe inspired you. You're on your way to your own secret BBQ sauce!

When you get a minute, please check out our Homework Assignment for new members, this will help you get the most from your membership here!: http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...ork-assignment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        It's cool that you just dove right in to the deep end! Welcome!

I'm not even gonna lie man, no way am I crediting you with this recipe! I made it tonight and took it to some friends' house for dinner, and they think I'm a genius! lol

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol! Glad they liked it.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you call it "4K Sauce"?

How long will the sauce keep in the fridge? I would like to make it in advance for a party this weekend.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Months! I have some that's probably 6 mo old.

I'm surprised there isn't a little Bourbon in there to help with the proper pronunciation! "Man, this shawsh is great"!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I bet this recipe is a big fan with Sean Connery. He sure can pronounce it correctly ;-)
        +1 on the bourbon, off to the kitchen Huskee!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        For a bit of depth in the flavor, if nothing else!

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        LMAO, Henrik! 😄

I made Huskee bbq sauce today. I took it to a party with 16 people including 2 from North Carolina. Everyone, including me, thought it was awesome and were impressed I made my own sauce. This sauce is money! Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a winner!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        That's great to hear, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Wow. Better than a home run. Made a test batch last evening for my customers to comment on. Well the audience was both genders, multicultural, blue and white collar, young and old (the old being me mainly). It was the AR site's KC style BBQ sauce vs Huskee's Shawsh. The winner is ............... Huskee's Shawsh. Without any exaggeration it won hands down. Few comments were to tone down on the pepper but that was due to my heavy hand (I love freshly ground black pepper). I had posted some time back looking for a similar alternative to KC style as it is expensive to make for my use (I use about 3-4 litre's a week). This recipe suites the budget. Win Win. I might play around with the ingredients and Zooooosh it up. Many thanks Huskee.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Honored! Thanks for the feedback.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Whipped up the Mustard Shawsh and I need to share with you it has become more popular than the Original Shawsh. I zooooshed it up by adding a tsp of prepared Dijon mustard. Both are winners though.

How long is it good in the fridge?

Comment

• PappyBBQ
        PappyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Answered in post #19 in the thread! Looks like LONG time! :-)

• adamjs83
        adamjs83 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, guess I missed that.

I wanted to share my reactions to Huskee's Original Shawsh. My husband has the sweet tooth of the two of us; I'm more willing to enjoy tart or sour flavors than he is. We both like it. A lot.

The shawsh is nicely sweet for my DH, but not so sweet my fillings ache. It's tangy from the mustard and vinegar, but not bitter or sour. The worchestershire adds a warm, meaty umami flavor that gives depth to the sauce.

The star of the show, in my opinion, is the orange juice. It adds a light citrus zip that keeps the sauce from tasting heavy and dull. I appreciate how adding the juice at the end of the cook helps keep the flavor bright.

The shawsh should keep a long time in the fridge due to the low pH from the vinegar and the high sugar content. It's going to stay sanitary even longer if you can store it in a squeeze bottle (think ketchup or mustard bottle) rather than an open container or jar.

Very nice, Huskee. Thank you for sharing -- it's wonderful stuff.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, IowaGirl, so glad you both liked it! I'm pretty proud of that. I wanted something that hit all the bases you describe (sweet, spicy/peppery, tart/vinegary, citrusy) but none overpowered the other too much, so it'd have more mass appeal. My sister in law and wife were the guinea pigs as a I made many batches and tried multiple ratios to end up where it is now. Happy to read this!!

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll say it again this a great shawsh that receives accolades everytime someone tastes it for the first time. I make at least 3 Litres a week. Tried using a mango and orange blend that made it just too sweet. I make a smaller batch on the side for myself that I add a bit of hot sauce that works well for my pallet. Huskee

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        So many tomato based sauces are super sweet or dark and heavy tasting, but your recipe avoids those pitfalls. All the praise is well deserved, Huskee.

I think if I get a half a minute next week I’m gonna make this at work and try it on some braised pork.

Huskee think garlicky depth with onion flavor on braised butts in a "pork mother" braising liquid.

im thinking this thinner sauce would be a hit. I will admit like holehogg I was thinking mango purée as well.

im totally on board with the OJ as I do the same in other marinades and such. Nice touch sir.

hopefully I get a minute next week (tomorrow is my Monday) as I want to make this as is first.

i like the thought of the mustards too.

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy Monday!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Honored if my Shawsh makes it into a restaurant by a pro chef! Honored even if it doesn't and you make it for yourself and like it. Honored even if you don't like it that you at least tried it! Honored even if you don't ever make it since you at least talked about maybe making it!

I'm making a batch now. I'll get fussed at for taking up fridge space - SWMBO doesn't like BBQ sauce - so I'm hoping it's as good as everyone says.

Comment

• tdimond
        tdimond commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, that's some good stuff, even before it has a few hours to get happy in the fridge.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!! I've begun adding more black pepper when I make it. I like that gentle kick it adds, and it tends to get lost on meat and just tastes sweet and a little vinegary.

Just made some today to go on my Western Style Ribs. I left out the water because I wanted a slightly thicker consistency. Seems to be pretty tasty, definitely not as sweet as I was expecting..

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry I missed this comment 3 yrs ago. I've since begun removing the water and replacing it with more vinegar when I make it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1183811
      So I've been wanting to make some BBQ sauce for my smoked meats for quite a while. The recipe I was originally going to do was quite involved with many ingredients. I saw this sauce and decided to try it due to not only the great reviews but also the simplicity of the recipe.

This is now my go to sauce... it goes great on everything. My entire family loves it and it's easy to see why!
      I DID make a couple modifications as to me, it's very sweet with both the brown and white sugar as well as molasses and juice. I ended up putting a tad more vinegar in, and some franks to give it a little kick. I wish I would have written down the measurements but that's BBQ to me, adjusting on the fly to what you like right then and there (unless you own a food truck or restaurant).

All in all, GREAT recipe and thanks for sharing it. I'm excited to make that mustard shawsh as I LOVE mustard.
      Last edited by jitsntricks; March 3, 2022, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• jitsntricks
        jitsntricks commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 Thank you, sir! They definitely didn't disappoint!
        I actually wrapped in butcher paper and drizzled some smoked lard on them prior to wrapping. Came out perfect bite off the bone!

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you say smoked lard? Ok, I will be on your front lawn begging soon

• jitsntricks
        jitsntricks commented
        Editing a comment
        klflowers Yep I did! A little of that in with the wrap makes some great ribs.. super juicy

I'm honored that you like it jitsntricks ! And yes, adjusting on the fly is what it's all about. I think Henrik's sauce that's in his BBQ Book book is a riff on this recipe too.

Comment

Ok going to try this recipe tonight, it's 8 deg c here in Alberta, nice BBQ weather, LOL, going to use a bit of Simon and Gar rub on the chicken while it cooks and use the sauce as a dipping sauce, can't wait to taste the combination :-)

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool! I hope you like it.

• big_mack
          big_mack commented
          Editing a comment
          how did you like it fellow Albertan mariocaron?

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here