Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anybody Describe Hoover Sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Anybody Describe Hoover Sauce?

The Mississippi Delta episode of Somebody Feed Phil (Netflix) included raves for Hoover Sauce but failed to describe it. It's available here: https://www.themississippigiftcompan...s/hoover-sauce. But no help there, either. Can anyone solve the mystery?

I'll grab the cheap shot opportunity........................it sucks.

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Full of dust, nuts of Cheetos, pet hair, and toenail clippings.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      oh.... I get it (now). LoL

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Knew a girl once with that nickname.....

The creator says he was trying for the flavor of roast Cantonese duck. There are recipes for that online so I assume you
    could find a recipe to make a similar sauce.

Comment

it's described as soy, sweet 'with spices'. I'd assume it's got some heat from Sichuan peppercorns, some five-spice, etc. Which reminds me... I need tp make something like that.

Comment

Here's the phone number to the Lee Hong Co. Grocery Store in Louise MS:

(662) 836-5131

the store closes at 5PM daily. I imagine you can buy Hoover Sauce directly from them paying shipping and handling. Online articles mention that Hoover Lee has shipped some around a bit.

Comment

Thanks, all; intriguing. Mark V you've provided the only explanation I've seen--double thanks. I just may give it a try through the link I provided or the store JGo37 identified.

Comment

Don't say I didnt do anything for y'all...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.jpeg
Views:	1298
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1029972

Yes I just bought it. Taste test to come.

Comment

• fkrall
              fkrall commented
              Editing a comment
              Please let us know. If you remain standing, I'll take that as a positive sign.

Ok...

Consistency of a glaze. Color is dark reddish brown.

Taste - soy, sweet, onion.

Verdict - it's fine, but I don't think it's rave worthy. I'll try it on chicken tomorrow and see if it transforms. If not, I'll add some 5 spice and Sichuan peppercorn to it. I'm guessing this is a hit in MS due to the relative lack of Asian sauces there (I assume) and the fact that it IS good.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by rickgregory; May 10, 2021, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• fkrall
              fkrall commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks--I should have read ahead!

You didn’t taste it and say...”DAM!”

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope.

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              Beat me to it. But I was gonna say "I'll be damned if I can."

If I were going to replicate this I'd do:

4 parts light soy sauce
            2 parts honey
            1 part ketchup
            rice wine or distilled vinegar to taste
            I'd start with 1tsp each granulated onion and garlic if you were making a quart of this

Then taste. I think I'd add some five spice. Hot pepper or sriracha to taste if you want heat (this has none).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here