Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man, is my butt frosted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, is my butt frosted!

In fact, it's more than frosted, it's frozen, and there are two, each about 9 lbs.

How long should I allow for defrosting in the fridge? I plan to smoke them a week from Sunday. I am thinking 4-5 days? I thought I had read it somewhere on this forum, but can't seem to find it.

BTW, did anyone notice that the guy holding the tray of pork butt at the top of the Perfect Pulled Pork page looks exactly like a young Eddie Murphy?

You're going to go look now, aren't you? Don't try and resist, just click the link!

He kind of does! 4-5 days should be fine depending on how cold your fridge is, and if those 2 butts are separate or frozen side by side. Don't forget to add an extra day so they will be thawed in time to do the dry brine overnight.

Comment

i had 2 butts that were cryovac'd together and they were frozen solid. i had them in the fridge for 5 days before i unwrapped them. when i went to dry brine them 2 days before my cook they were still frozen in the very middle but the outsides were mostly thawed. i dried them and brined then and put them back in the fridge. the salt helped thaw them but likely i lost a little salt when the frozen parts thawed and pee'd a little. either way my butts were great and very tasty.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here