Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bricks in your warming cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bricks in your warming cooler?

I saw this in Saveur Magazine does anyone here do this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	xDNenoU.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	915345

I tote enough weight as it is. Key is to fill up any holding container FULL with little air space.

I have lined bricks with foil to hold up a grate.

Comment

Interesting to know what temp the bricks would create in the cooler.

Comment

Never used bricks. I just have a few old towels I use to take up the empty space. Never had an issue with meat getting cold even after 6+ hours. 9 hours is the longest I have held a brisket and it was still 145 degrees when I sliced it.

I know some people pre-heat their cooler (that is a phrase that out of context really makes no sense) with hot water and the like but I have never done that either.

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          I do the same - just extra towels wrapped around whatever is in there to take some of the air space away.

I don't even use towels. Just 3-5 layers of heavy duty foil.

I do have a few different size coolers to choose from and put the meat in the smallest it will fit into.

In related news, once meat is loaded into any cooler, it is referred to as my "treasure chest".

Comment

Thanks to Mr. Bones suggestion I picked up a fleece blanket to use instead of using towels.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            those are what I use as well.

It seems like overkill and a waste of space, honestly. Unless you're going to be constantly opening the lid, the contents should stay hot. I think just preheating the cooler would be better.

Comment

I never needed any help to hold meat 4 hours plus.

Comment

If they were already warm... ok, but if not it's counter productive I would think? Most won't take the time to grill bricks

Comment

Originally posted by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs View Post
                If they were already warm... ok, but if not it's counter productive I would think? Most won't take the time to grill bricks
                I grilled bricks just the other day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200921_174945~2.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	915496

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does the foil wrap help to tenderize them?

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steve R. It does indeed. These came out tender and juicy. Some of the best grilled bricks I've ever made.

I think all the bricks are probably best used for smaller thinner foods rather than big chunks of meat that hold heat better.

Comment

6 bricks would make that cooler awfully heavy...Especially with food in it. Makes my back hurt thinking about it...lol

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    10-4 Put in 30 beer and 2 bags of ice I'll carry it no problem.
                    6 bricks, now we gotta problem

If I'm going to keep the meat for more than a couple of hours, I put a couple bricks on top of the smoker for the last hour. They just get warm. Then they go on the bottom of the cooler with the meat on top of them, and towels wrapped around and on top. Six hours is as long as I've gone, but I still had 150d internal in a pork butt. I don't think I'd do it if I had to pack that cooler around.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	2C9812D3-6827-492F-8D49-6906F01C0F70.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	689.5 KB ID:	915604

I will put a 2 to 4 cup container full of boiling water in my cooler before adding a butcher paper wrapped pork butt or chuck roast. I believe it keeps the meat moist while it continues to get tender. It does soften the bark a little bit but in my opinion it is worth it.

I am not moving around my cooler of meat either so I don't have to worry about spilling it.

Last edited by ssandy_561; September 24, 2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I have used towels, foam rubber and rolls of Reflectix, but never bricks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here