Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time smoking in the rain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time smoking in the rain!

Ugh, I knew better. I should have checked the radar before I got started. Chicken was all prepped, stepped outside to light the chimney....partly cloudy grey skies.

Ten minutes into the chimney light, thunderstorm and a decent rate of rain! So, I took the lid off the PBC (splashing myself with the accumulated water), and dumped the coals in and (carefully) slapped on the grate.

Waited for the rain to die down just a bit and got the chicken on.

We'll see how this goes.....steady drizzle at the moment. At least I am using a PBC, for which I can be pretty confident of the temperature even without setting up my probes.

Now you tell me....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 7.36.20 PM.png
Views:	276
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	910143

Comment

There is nothing that kills the temperature of a smoker like water hitting the sides of it.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll add a corollary.....nothing kills the heat of a burning charcoal chimney than rain falling into it! Thankfully, rain did not kill the coals....and the PBC heated up nicely. I've got about 10 minutes left on these thighs to hit 175. The rain did stop, whew.

AS long as it is not dumping out there, I have never really had a huge issue with rain and the PBC.

Comment

Get yourself an old golf or patio umbrella and a roll of duct tape
        cover your smoker and smoke on

Comment

I feel for ya...

Comment

Thankfully, the rain tapered off and then stopped. Chicken came out just fine. I just gotta watch that weather forecast a bit closer!

Name:	IMG-4121.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	910188

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah cuz we know how accurate those weather forecasts are to begin with.....

We need rain to put out the wild fires. The fires burned up several towns. 40K displaced, 17 dead.

Comment

I can move food around and survive a rain on my cookers while being used. The issue is not cleaning them immediately. If it's sunny and hot the next morning, the wet ash from water coming in the chimney turns to cement. I hate that... Same in the ash catchers on Weber kettles.

The chicken, well, I'd eat that! What's the green stuff? LoL

I had a dog that LOVED peas - go figure...

I think northern south American Indians invented adobe bricks 4500 years ago from the ash and water accumulated in their Weber ash baskets during rain - little known true fact.
              Last edited by JGo37; September 12, 2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Do you have a Weber 22" lid? If yes rest it on top of the PBC - it makes a perfect sized "umbrella" without messing with airflow.

Comment

I took care of rain/snow concerns last year. Only took $2,800 to keep me dry.

Name:	Patio cover #2 - Copy.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	911835

Name:	Patio cover #1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	911836

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                    Jfrosty27 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice. I need to do that. $2,800 is less than I would have guessed.

• dubob
                    dubob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All steel with 100 mph plus wind load. Covers a 20' X 10' patio.

This worked quite well:

Name:	IMG_2117.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	912471

Comment

• surfdog
                    surfdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As long as there’s no wind... That E-Zup doesn’t look to have any weight attached. ;-)

I’ve smoked in the rain before - successfully. Only catch was I had to add a LOT more wood to keep the temps up.

Comment

Wait, wut? Never smoked in the rain before? Pretty sure those of us in the Pacific Northwest don’t understand the words that you are saying ;-)

Comment

I’m confused as well ecowper ...what the heck is this "rain" he speaks of? LOL

Comment

• ecowper
                        ecowper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hah, I laughed .... I’m originally from the Central Valley, so yeah I get the "what is rain" question

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here