Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dhungar Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dhungar Method

This is a simple way to add a smoky aromatic dimension to foods that aren't prepared in a grill or smoker. Not just soft veggies, but I'm looking forward to trying this with rice, scrambled eggs - wherever my imagination takes me.

(the pics aren't mine)

Prepare the food you wish to expose to this method as you see in the pics below. The food will be ready to process this way when the food is ready to be served - hot and as it would be just before portioned out. Transfer the ready to serve food to a big warm lidded pot. Not warm enough to continue cooking the food, but warm enough to hold the serving temp.

You start with a lump coal the size of an egg. I'll be using Royal Oak. Torch it up to the typical gray ash state using tongs over a gas burner, your kitchen propane torch - however suits you.

Once the coal has ashed, place the coal in a small metal cup that will fit inside a lidded pot - I'll be using any one of an array of CI Dutch ovens. Over the hot coal, add a couple tablespoons of Ghee. (more on Ghee below)

The Ghee will fill the lidded pot with smoke and add a velvet smokiness to the food. Try this out for 3-4 minutes at first, then adjust to your tastes. This method does no additional cooking - there's not enough heat involved - this just adds a great smoky flavor and aroma.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DhungarMethod_HERO_082720_11249_V1_final.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	908556

Click image for larger version

Name:	DhungarMethod_HERO2_082720_11265_V2_final.jpg
Views:	1690
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	908557

I haven't found Ghee locally, so I'm clarifying a couple pounds of unsalted Irish Butter. Maybe starting out with Irish Butter is taking one step forward and two steps back, and I'll try this with 'regular' butter too. For those unfamiliar with the process, melt butter in a pan, simmer it for ~ 10 minutes when you'll find it separates the solids out, which will rise to the surface. Skim off what you can, then strain through 4 layers of cheesecloth. Now you have shelf-stable clarified butter (Ghee) that doesn't need refrigeration, (it doesn't last forever, but it does last months). You'll find more uses for the Ghee.

The pedant in me is forced to point out the clarified butter != ghee. Granted they are both melted butter with the milk solids strained out, but to create ghee you need to leave the solids in the cooking vessel longer than around ~10 minutes to allow the solids time to brown. The browning of the solids and the nutty, toasted flavour that imparts is what separates ghee from plain old clarified butter.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - good to know... I think I knew that at one point, but the herd has been thinning out lately... LoL

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. I gave up on that point. The mechanized production of ghee these days takes it to high temps as well.

Kinda cool, basically using a large pot as a mini smoker.

Comment

Don’t know if it’s world wide but our lil ol Wally mart carries ghee & duck fat & a few other choice cookin fats.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I just brought Ghee home from Aldi's.. ;o)

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Walmart here (not a big town) carries ghee as well, kind of surprised me. Trader Joes carries it as well (big city).

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Ghee in most of our stores here.

Reminds me of this infuser kit my sister gave me. I mean, it actually works and adds a smokey flavor to the food. It is just one piece at a time for 5 minutes a piece of cheese, whiskey etc.

homia Smoking Gun Wood Smoke Infuser - Extended Plus Kit, Portable Electric Smoker Machine with Accessories and Wood Chips - Cold Smoke for Food and Drinks, 14 PCS https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08B3GTC..._75vwFbTGJMEXD

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        smoked drinks... LoL - I could stop using an eyedropper and liquid smoke.

• Cheef
        Cheef commented
        Editing a comment
        These smoke guns work awesome!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here