Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese style smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese style smoking

I’m recovering from a disaster where we smoked some duck and chicken thighs in a wok lined with tinfoil using a smoking mixture of rice, brown sugar, tea leaves, and orange peels. We did it outside on a punk burner. Without even realizing it we burned the tea and tainted all the food with a burned smoky smell. Please note that the meats were steamed and finished cooking prior to smoking.
    I’m assuming we just had the heat to high, but we followed the directions found online. My questions are as follows and really appreciate any ideas or answers.

1. Has anyone used this smoking technique successfully and if so how?

2. How do the various ingredients, rice, sugar, tea interact with each other and what is the purpose of each especially the sugar and rice?

3. I had thought of using one of the portable smoke infuser’s but can’t find one that looks like it would be able to take the total list of ingredients. Without knowing the purpose of each of the ingredients would just using the tea leaves in the smoke infuser be sufficient?

thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by Antoin; September 7, 2020, 01:59 PM.

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of this before? But with those ingredients I would think you need a very low heat. Not really sure what the rice would do for you other than burn?
    sorry I’m no help but I am interested in what others have to say

Comment

Thanks for the warning!

Comment

Never heard of smoking or trying to impart smoke on a cooked meat. Cold, uncooked meat takes on smoke, but like I said, never heard of this method.

I have smoked pork (raw) that was rubbed with green tea, sugar, salt and some other spices/aromatics. Results were very good.

Comment

This may help.
          https://guide.michelin.com/mo/en/mac...%20it%20melts.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Good article.

It sounds like the heat was too high. You used traditional ingredients, so that’s not the problem.
          I’ve never tried to smoke finished food... Sometimes duck is cured prior to smoking but it’s still uncooked.

Use whole tea leaves rather than ground tea that is often found in tea bags. If you can get ahold of tea twigs, they can bring a lot to the party.

The foil lined wok is the way to go... Did you use a rack of some sort? If not, a use either a small steaming rack or 3 or 4 skewers or cheap chopsticks. Start with a relatively high heat, just to get the smoking started...then get it down to a medium heat or so, just to maintain the smoking.

A duck breast, skin side down can be done in as little as twenty minutes. Especially if it’s been cured. A whole duck in around 40, also cured.

I’m sure the smoke infuser would be tasty, but it would most likely also be entirely different. I don’t own one so I have no way of comparing the effects/smoke profiles.

Comment

• Antoin
            Antoin commented
            Editing a comment
            Tks surfdog. I read the article mentioned prior to trying the first time. I used whole leaves vice bags. My second attempt I used high heat, reduced temp to low resulting in a little smoke but not the thick yellow smoke shown in the article. I really wasn’t happy with the flavoring, but don’t know what it’s supposed to taste like, and therefore don’t know if my results were correct. I’ve got to find a Chinese restaurant to try to get A solid understanding is as to how it’s supposed To Taste.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here