Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flame-searing meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flame-searing meat

I've wanted to try flame searing (via propane torch) for a while. The first attempt didn't work, since the simple $20 torch I bought extinguished when I turned it upside-down. Today I planned to smoke a tri tip roast, and went to the hardware store to get a proper pressure-regulated torch tip.
    Wow - the effort was worth it! The meat reached 125 degrees, I seared it for about a minute per side, then sliced it for dinner. I didn't even notice a 'sear ring' when I sliced it, since the sear was so hot and quick. Even my wife noticed there was something better about the meat.
    Wish I had pictures. Next time ...

Edit: I liked using the torch instead of a cast iron pan because a tri tip roast is odd shaped (somewhat like a boomerang), and I found myself pushing & rolling the roast around in the pan to sear the surface. Gets old really quick.
    For a piece of meat with flat/almost flat surfaces (steak or chuck roast) a cast iron sear would be quick.
    Last edited by SmokingPat; September 5, 2020, 08:42 AM.

If you’re serious about searing with a torch, give the Searzall attachment a try:

Click image for larger version

Name:	5450B284-42EC-435A-9EF8-638556B311CD.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	905783

... works great.

Comment

• SmokingPat
      SmokingPat commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, yeah. Searing would go quickly!

FWIW any canaster torch will extinguish when turned upside-down or not work as effectively turned on its side.

Comment

• SmokingPat
      SmokingPat commented
      Editing a comment
      If you get the right top, it will work. At least work well-enough for searing meat. From the Berzomatic website:
      "For work that requires inversion, we recommend a pressure-regulated torch, such as the TS3500 Multi-Use Torch or a cast body torch, such as the TS4000, BZ4500HS, or TS8000."

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here