Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite thing *to cook*?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly first over the finish line always.
    If I could get decent brisket I think that would be a photo finish. Until that happens it's the versatility of PB that's in the winners circle.

Comment

This is a tough call, but I'm going to go with adobo chicken on my Blackstone griddle. I take some boneless, skinless chicken thighs pounded flat and sprinkled liberally with some adobo seasoning. Makes for some fabulous chicken quesadillas or burrito bowls. I always keep a few of them unsliced and intact for weekday sandwiches for lunch. For the low time commitment and bang for the buck, it's hard to beat.

Close second would be smash burgers on the griddle. Quick and so satisfying to smash those patties and create those crispy edges. Plus, it gives me an excuse to use my favorite Dexter spatula.
      Last edited by Steve R.; September 5, 2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I love the challenge of cooking a brisket low & slow on an offset. There is nothing better than the anticipation of seeing how it turned out after spending 1/2 the day trying to get it to perfection.

Comment

For me it is Picanha whole. It is interactive over live fire, charcoal or gas, because of the fat cap and I love the way it shrinks and plumps up. Plus, from a beefy flavor perspective I put it up against any cut there is.

Comment

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m going to cook my first Picanha tomorrow. Wish me luck!

• pjlstrat
            pjlstrat commented
            Editing a comment
            You got this kenrobin !! My only two pieces of advice is reverse sear or baby sit it, due to flare ups from the fat cap and keep an eye on internal temp as it is a pretty lean cut and can dry out if you take it too high.

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks pjlstrat ! I cooked it in a Pit Barrel Cooker with lump charcoal. I opened the intake all the way to get it really hot. Seasoned with kosher salt, it was really good!

Huskee Mr. Bones My favorite used to be Brisket

​​​​​​​You want to hear something weird. My first smoker was a charbroil offset i bought at Ace hardware for $60. It leaked heat and smoked out of everywhere but the chimney. I modified it with firebrick along the base for heat retention, used welding flashing from the firebox to the smoker to protect the food right next to the firebox and wood stove gasket to try and seal the doors. Also the temp I had was the bimetal gauge that came with it on the lid. Brisket on this thing was an ADVENTURE!!!! It would be the 16-20 hour cook and I had to sit with it the whole time...poking this and modifying that and opening this damper and loading more fuel etc etc. I ruined more Brisket that I can count but eventually I got pretty good at it.

Now with the primo, smobot and Thermoworks, I nail Brisket every time and it is almost too easy. I almost miss those days when Brisket was more interactive and the smoker had to be babysat. I say almost because I DO NOT miss waking up at 2PM and never going back to bed to get a Brisket done for a party!!!!!!

​​​​​​​Sorry for the long post but the question got me thinking as to why Brisket was not as much fun to cook as it used to be. Still way fun to eat though!

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Man I do miss the old cheap offsets. My experiences were identical - the fixes, the leaks, the bricks - but I always felt really proud of what I produced. Now that I am in my late 50's, I can't stay up all night like I could in my 30's.

• pjlstrat
            pjlstrat commented
            Editing a comment
            tbob4 Amen to that brother!!

I just love to cook, period. Even if it is a grill cheese sandwich. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be a chuck roast.

Comment

My favorite thing to cook is the meat I am cooking. got to love it.

Comment

Tri-Tip. I had never heard of it before joining the Pit. Sous vide at 131 for 8 hours, sear over mesquite lump screaming hot fire. Makes wonderful dinner with amazing beef flavor. Leftover pieces are chilled and sliced thin for sandwiches. Also used on the griddle for cheesesteak sandwiches. My wife adds it to a chefs salad.

Comment

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                I love TT too. If you have about a pound left over, try making leftover TT stroganoff. Oh man, delicious.

Chili. Because (depending on the complexity) I spend a lot of time prepping the ingredients, and then all of a sudden it’s chili. It’s like a logic problem where you follow several paths and then all of a sudden they become one, and quod erat demonstrandum!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Right there with ya, Brother...

Real chili is a several day process, here at th Firebase...

Worth every minute, though...

My Pit name says it all. I like the taste, the set it and forget nature of the cook and the forgiving quality of the meat. You did say to cook and not to eat? I do like to eat it, too.

Comment

For me, it’s Paella. I love the process and the ever changing aroma that I get from it throughout. And when paella is on the grill, I usually have friends over, so it’s fun to have most everyone out on the patio while I’m going through the first part of the cook. Then the presentation of the entire pan on the table for everyone to serve themselves always goes over well. it’s a great time, but I only make paella a handful of times throughout the year.

otherwise, it’s tacos. As, I’ve posted many times in the show us what your cooking thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                  Brisket. It too is a long relatively hands-off, low action cook, but I love it best.
                  +1 on the brisket.

Comment

Beef ribs for slow. Wings for fast. Corn on the cob fir veg. Really most anything I can cook outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_in_TX View Post
                      What is your favorite thing *to cook* outdoors?
                      Pork Ribs

Comment

Such a hard question to answer since I love cooking in general. If I go by what I cook the most: pork butt. If I go by the satisfaction of cooking a difficult piece of meat and having it turn out awesome: brisket.

But then there is pork belly burnt ends - one of my signature dishes, bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp (another signature dish), ribs, smoked chicken on the KBQ (never had chicken as good as the KBQ does it), so much more I could list. Oh yeah, steak has to be on the list too.
                        Last edited by 58limited; September 5, 2020, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here