Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different/Odd wood pellets for smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different/Odd wood pellets for smokers

Does anyone know if they make olive wood pellets? If you do, do you know where to get it? A friend from Italy told us that the best wood for pizza ovens is olive wood. Although we don't have a wood burning pizza oven we do have a smoker. Just curious as it seems like a good conversation piece and an interesting process from an Italian chef from Italy. Got to be curious about the flavor too. Thanks all for any info.

i bought maple pellets today, is that odd? though I only did it because I'm from New England wanted to picture myself going down shopping down trees

Comment

Methinks olive wood is not a pellet species. In fact I've never seen olive wood here in the US, pellets or wood chunks. But if you have olive wood available near you give it a shot! Do you have a smoker/grill other than pellets?

Comment

So a simple search query shows that olive wood in most popular fueling formats is a thing; http://grillgreen.info/

Comment

I have a small supply of olive wood from a tree we trimmed. Not pellets, but the blocks I’ve used were really nice on chuck roast. It’s a mild smoke flavor to me.

Comment

No olive, but I did come across an ad for this in the BBQ news... https://knottywoodbbq.com/ it peaked my interest, though I haven't ordered any yet.
            The only barbecue magazine with news from all over the world and includes columns by Meathead, Ardie Davis, Paul Kirk, news, book reviews, regional associations, Steak Cookoff info, more.
            Last edited by treesmacker; September 4, 2020, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll be quite interested in yer appraisal of them almond pellets, amigo!

My initial assessment is that they'd be a mild, gentle, lighter smoke, shinin brightest on proteins such as fish, an poultry, mebbe even cheese, but that's jus an unedumacated guess, on my part...

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              BTW I just noticed they are offering a trial bag of the almond pellots 10 lbs/$10 with FREE SHIPPING if anyone else wants to try... https://knottywoodbbq.com/collection...pellets-10-lbs

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Th deal is tantalizin me, an th stacked deal almost drives me wild to be swingin my PayPal, or summat, but, alas, I do not own a pellet cooker...

Probly My Bad, huh?

Thanks all for your input. I would love to have olive pellets, but I know that the Italian chef I was speaking of was using wood. He built his own pizza oven and I know that uses wood chunks or pieces. I would still love to find pellets, but I think because it's not real common in the US that it'll be hard to find, if at all....I only have a smoker and gas grill, but we are considering a Ooni Koda pizza oven. Wouldn't need anything special for that. Has anyone purchased an Ooni Koda? We're pizza people, from back East, so when Meathead was talking about pizza ovens it peaked our interest. Of course living in AZ we cook lots outdoors, but most pizza has been in the house oven.......Maple wood sounds great. We had some for our smoker once. Hey, whatever gives you a good feeling that adds to your grilling, go for it.

Thanks again for all the responses on the olive wood.

Oops, just saw that I should be on the "other cooking stoves" thread for questions about the pizza oven. I'll look there. Thanks again.
            Last edited by chic and rooster; September 13, 2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

GrillGreen.info and SmokeyOliveWood.com carry the pellets and chunks, between the two.

Comment

• chic and rooster
                chic and rooster commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you very much for finding the olive wood. Grill Green does have pellets. Unfortunately both sites are out of the US. I'd love to try it, but I think I'll have to stick with the pellets I can find. Thank you again for looking.

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                chic and rooster I didn't find anything that wasn't ConUS. Why not just order from overseas? I didn't check pricing - not worth it?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here