Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear or Front Sear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear or Front Sear?

When finish timing isn't super important I like front searing first with a controlled indirect heat finish to the exact target temp. The trade off of course is less sizzle when finished. Is the trade off worth it? Is reverse searing over rated? What say you?

Nah... not over rated. Just another tool in the arsenal.

Comment

I prefer front sear for the reason you suggest. I'm not sure I know what you mean about "less sizzle" though.

Comment

Depends what you're wanting to end up with. When I reverse sear, I add a small wood chunk to the coals so I"m basically smoking the steak to the target temp, then searing. If I didn't want that, I'd probably just cook over direct heat until target temp.

Comment

I prefer a front sear for several reasons.

I can get the exact sear I want without overshooting my final temp.
          Temps rise slower during the slow part, so easier to hit my final temp.
          Less carry over rise from a lower temp so it is, (again), easier to hit my final temp.

I use a front sear for steaks, chops, and boneless/skinless chicken breasts.
          Last edited by RonB; August 22, 2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• cgrover60
            cgrover60 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed for sure RonB. I guess I was just wondering why reverse is usually touted as "the method".

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            cgrover60 - I think it just caught on. I haven't tried doing a side by side test, but I don't think anyone could tell the difference between front and rear sear.

I can say that people who eat my steaks almost always say it's the best they ever had...

depends on thickness for steaks

hamburgers front sear in HOT oil, then wrap in foil......currently working on a soundtrack

Comment

I'm making a boneless prime rib tomorrow which I will be front searing for the exact reason RonB said. In fact I'll be putting the roast in the freezer for about 30 min. Prior to searing it. To further help get that edge to edge pink. Ok I just got myself hungry.
            Last edited by Steve B; August 22, 2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too. 😋

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Me three...

For steaks, Tri-Tip, 1 bone Rib Roast (aka the Tomahawk Ribeye) I front sear because flavor is more important to me than temperature doneness. With front searing I have control over the char (fond, bark, the Milliard process, whatever you want to call it). The char is where the flavor is. The cuts of meat I have identified, because of their thickness, never get over cooked while grilling. After I get the char I want, I move the steak over to finish indirect. I have over cooked my meat on occasion because the cut is irregular or I get caught up with something and don't pay attention. But the flavor is always fantastic. Again, flavor (the char) is the most important thing to me.

For rib roasts over 1 rib, I reverse sear. I don't have to worry that I may possibly over cook the meat while I achieve the char I want.
            Last edited by TripleB; August 22, 2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Since I discovered reverse sear, it’s pretty much the only method I’ve used for steaks, chicken, roasts, etc. I love the outcome and feel strongly that I have immense control over internal temp and external outcomes compared to front sear methods.

Which just goes to show that we are all different.

Comment

Nowadays I just stare at my steaks intently while subliminally telepathing my desired internal temperature. Then I put them on my plate, their ready.

Comment

• Stuey1515
                  Stuey1515 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Telekinesis sear, ground breaking stuff sir, I'll give it a crack haha

I have gotten used to the reverse sear method and that is my go to.

Comment

David Parrish has a really good You Tube video comparing front- vs reverse- seared steaks on his SnS Kamado Grill set up to mimic a Santa-Maria-style cook

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; August 23, 2020, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• cgrover60
                    cgrover60 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting video fzxdoc, thanks. Since the results are basically the same and I tend to overshoot target temps with reverse sear, forward sear just works better for me.

Reverse sear all of the way. Since meat cooks from the outside in a front sear overcooks the part of the meat just beneath the surface. Front-sear works for real thin pieces of meat or burgers but other than that, especially when cooking steaks, reverse sear works better IMO.

Comment

I’ve been doing a front sear for most of my hot and fast cooks the past year +. IMO placing a grate over a 1/2 full charcoal chimney starter to sear something then dumping the hot coals into my SnS and kettle to finish seems easier. Plus I don’t season the meat until after the sear as to not burn it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here