Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusting the Temperature of a Charcoal Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone here has given you great advice Bulldog As several have mentioned the
    Slow n Sear. This is, next to some good digital thermometers, the single most important tool for your kettle. Here’s the link.
    Maximize the Possibilities of your Kettle Grill with the original Slow 'N Sear!

I hope it came through. 😁

Comment

Gave myself some time before writing back.

What I have come around to thinking is something I suspected even before my first cook: Grilling outdoors can't simply be a matter of "follow these three E-Z steps and you're guaranteed good results." If that was the case, how could there be barbecue competitions, if all you have to do is follow "three E-Z steps?" There's gotta be more to it. Clearly, there is.

So maybe I started off with the wrong approach. On the other hand, if I hadn't gotten started with the wrong approach, I might not have found my way here. And what I found here are a group of terrific people - including those I have yet to meet - who have the gift of combining good advice with lots of patience, and those are two things that a newbie griller needs. So thank you all, not only for your advice, but for sticking with me.

I'm looking forward to many adventures in grilling, including those 'aha' moments when I finally 'get it.' Thanks again for all the help you've provided. I truly appreciate it.

----------------------------------------------

I would like to ask about pre-heating my grill for the purpose of cleaning the cooking grate. Doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I'm open to other ideas.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        For cleaning the grate, what I sometimes do with my charcoal grills is AFTER the cook, open all vents wide, and let it use up the remaining charcoal to burn off the leftover food on the grate. This way, next cook at most you have a little brushing to do during pre-heat, and don't have to worry about getting hot to burn stuff off. If I remember too after dinner, I may go back and brush the grate while its still hot too.

Ok - just saw that glitchy already gave you this same advice below....
        Last edited by jfmorris; August 12, 2020, 08:20 AM.

• Ann-Marie in the backyard
        Ann-Marie in the backyard commented
        Editing a comment
        Cooking is an art, and art doesn’t go just by 3 E-Z steps. You’re going to have a grand time becoming an artist in your own right!

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        And I use oil sprays made for grill grates, like the Weber Grill n Spray..

On my charcoal, I frequently open er up after cooking is done and burn off the coals to ‘clean’ the grill. It’s still usually hot after dinner, so I go back out and brush the grates good then. Then next cook a light brushing and or oiling during warmup works well. With a good brush, you can actually remove most stuff on a cold grate. I’m probably in the middle of the road camp for grate cleanliness. A few on here have grates that look like brand new every time they post a pic of food cooking.

Comment

I am not going to offer advice as these peeps have it covered. Just going to say welcome, and this site will have you doing stuff you can’t imagine. I did a leg of lamb awhile back (shocked the heck out of myself), and recently a raccoon (yeah, you read that right) on my kettle. All thanks to the confidence AR gave me. Hang in with us. Pit master extraordinaire is in your near future.

Comment

Bulldog -- On my charcoal grills, I clean much of the gunk off after the cook. As the charcoal continues to burn while we eat dinner, it will burn off some of the grate's gunk. Not all of it, though. After dinner you can scrape off all that you can on both sides of the grate. For me, that's not enough. Sometimes I put the grate in my gasser and let it do a good burn off. Other times I give the grate a good overnight soak with a biodegradable citric acid cleaner in a hot water heater pan and scrub it clean the next day.

Hot water heater pan from Home Depot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	the-plumber-s-choice-water-heaters-pans-26awhp-64_1000.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	895063

HTH,
          Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't take credit for the idea, ecowper .

lonnie mac turned me on to this technique.

Kathryn

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Whoever came up with it, it’s awesome

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got to agree, I thought 'duh!', then started looking at Lowes & HDepot...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here